The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Could a changing climate set off volcanoes and quakes? > Comments

Could a changing climate set off volcanoes and quakes? : Comments

By Fred Pearce, published 10/5/2012

Since 1900, the world has been struck by seven 'super-quakes', with a magnitude exceeding 8.8.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I think of the possibility that the opposite could occur. That is, earthquakes and continental drift may lead to climate change, due to changes in our balance and wobbles of our rotational axis.

There are many things that humans have no influence over.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 11 May 2012 8:18:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's actually those damn butterflies again.

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi652.htm

It has been well understood for years that a careless butterfly in the Amazonian jungle, temporarily forgetful of his role in the universe, may inadvertently flap its little wings and create a hurricane off the coast of W.A.

It occurs to me that if we could only track down that insensitive bloody butterfly and pluck off those wretched (but quite pretty, I understand) wings, the good folk at Rio Tinto can continue digging up the Pilbara in peace. Which of course would benefit Australia's economy no end... so what's Julia doing about it, that's what I'd like to know? Where's the Australian Army when you need it? Building communities in Afghanistan, that's what, when they should be thigh-deep in the rainforests of South America, plucking leeches from their thighs while they remorselessly track down the Elusive Butterfly of...

Sorry, where was I?

Oh yes, climate change causes earthquakes.

Of course.

What's so odd about that?
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 11 May 2012 8:59:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Haaa hahaha.

Please Pericles, don’t fart. It might trigger a cyclone bigger than Yasi off the north Queensland coast!

For that matter, don’t exhale either, if you wouldn’t mind!

BTW, what happened to our discussion on John Coulter’s thread?
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 11 May 2012 9:36:34 AM
I find the idea that there is a God far more likely than such tenuous causes for the earth moving. The energy of a small event dwarfs anything we have done. A hydrogen bomb is a mere cracker, get a sense of magnitude, just because you feel big the Earth doesn’t notice.
Posted by McCackie, Friday, 11 May 2012 6:31:25 PM
A wise person once said that if the title of your article can be answered with the one word "No", then you probably shouldn't be writing it.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 14 May 2012 7:30:28 AM
A wise man once said that if you don’t know whether something is true or not, you shouldn’t be asserting it.

Jon, you can’t say that no is the answer. We simply don’t know if there is a connection between the anthropogenic release of fossil carbon and increased seismic or volcanic activity.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 14 May 2012 8:49:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy