The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tough beef with Coles > Comments

Tough beef with Coles : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 12/4/2012

There's a greater chance of buying tough steak from Coles as a result of its UK-imported bias against modern agriculture.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
...The worst ingredient for a stew is "tender" beef. There is a place for tough meat with consumers looking for economy. Feed-lots add to the cost of beef, as a necessity to accommodate consumer expectation that ALL meat is standardised.

...Give the consumer choice in "grade" as an additional choice which is missing now, for the sake of economy I say!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 12 April 2012 9:11:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is the point of this? Surely Coles can do what it wants. If consumers don't like their product then they will go elsewhere. If producers don't like they can sell their beef elsewhere.
That is the free market!
What is the Author saying that Coles shouldn't be allowed to source and market a product of their choosing?
Posted by cornonacob, Thursday, 12 April 2012 6:38:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The real question is, "meat only makes 25% of what we should eat"..."tough beef".....In can pull-up the facts of the water and others that by fact again....."WATER"...(will be the new oil)...and I wonder how much food production in ( in over all-costs ) which in this day and age can we see the food wars. Food wars have always been apart of our cycles.

Just a thought.

cc
Posted by planet 3, Thursday, 12 April 2012 9:21:59 PM
When I had my shop, and times were better (pre GFC) I sold Tasmainian beef and lamb, almost exclusively.

I chose this meat due to Tasmainias strick anti hormone and steroid policy, whereby the use of thes is banned by their government.

This was only possible due to the climate down there, however, one must question just how much meat such a small area can produce.

Of cause, these meats came at a premium, but was well worth it.

Freight was also a major cost impost, some thing that is only going to get worse.

Having said this, King Island would be one of the more famous meats on the market, however, this assett was sold to OS interests and at certain times, we could not axcess the meats locally.

There is also a substitute on the market, as a smart operator from Victoria registered the brand name of something like King Island Meat Company.

You often see this for sale at discount prices, however it is not from KI, but the general public are mostly not aware of this. In fact, it has made the selling of genuine KI beef much more difficult, as people don't understand the difference.

As for Coles, in my opinion they have made a rod for their own backs, with their obsession with massive discounting, some thing that doesn't go hand in hand with quality.

I am of the opinion that this marketing choice, (the introduction of hormone free beef) will backfire big time, as Coles will have little choice other than to offer a refund/replacement on tough meats.

I think you will see a back flip on this, but that will hurt thier reputation big time.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 13 April 2012 5:45:36 AM
Undoubtedly, those who are informed about the HPG issue, will applaud Coles' action in this matter. Three cheers!
Posted by native, Monday, 30 April 2012 11:10:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy