The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Carr that skittled Kevin > Comments

The Carr that skittled Kevin : Comments

By Richard Laidlaw, published 6/3/2012

Gillard has finally (albeit messily as usual) stamped her authority as leader on something of moment.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
...Cynics, please don't comment...(Then I won't)!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 8:47:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry Diver Dan but I must say that replacing Rudd with Bob Carr can only be a good thing. Rudd brought about his own demise and one of the planks was his statement that “ he was for a big Australia”. Bob Carr is a Patron of Population Australia and has written some brilliant articles on the perils of overpopulation, the single biggest for all of our climate change, peak oil and food and water shortages.
Good on Gillard for getting something right.
Posted by sarnian, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 9:21:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Richard, sorry but this is all a bit like my golf game. If there wasn’t so much slice, a better distance, a kinder bounce to the green and more roll on the green to the pin, I might just have got a birdie.

So Julia “stamped her authority as leader on something of moment” What, something momentous like another distraction?

“Many commentators have already noted this” Really? And these would be? Oh yes, I forgot, the progressive media.

And this gem, “especially if the polls start flowing Labor's way. That may be the ultimate result if Gillard now gets down to the real work.”

Getting down to the real work she can lift the polls? Or, if the electorates are prepared to forgive and forget all the stuff ups she can win? Just like my golf.

Actually there is more hope for my golf as I don’t have to get over these;

Grocery watch
Fuel watch
Watering down of border protection laws
Boat people living in Hotels
Climate Change Citizens assembly
BER
Pink Batts
$900 cheques
Live cattle trade to Indonesia
East timor solution
Malaysia solution
Knifing a first term PM
20/20 Summit
Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme
Carbon Tax
Cash for clunkers
Solar panel rebate
Green Loan scheme
Green car scheme
GP super clinics
Child care centres
Kevin Rudd being able to dole out $8bn in foreign aid annually
Computers for every school child
Indigenous health
Health rebate
Super Profits resource tax
Mineral Rent Resource Tax
Proposed Hospital Funding overhaul
Set top boxes for pensioners
Saying Sorry
Murdoch Press Media review
Giving Holden a bailout and a week later Holden workers get a 22% pay increase
Abolishment of the ABCC
Australian Television Network tender
NBN - $60bn and counting
$220bn national debt
Borrowing $112m per day
Budget surplus smoke & mirrors
Wayne Swan
Making KRudd the Foreign Minister if he is so bad
Starting the Australia day riot
Lying on the 4 corners interview
Lying about Bob Carr’s appointment

I think you need to spend more time in Oz, just to stay in touch with local sentiment. Just a suggestion.
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 9:39:32 AM
This article isn't actually about Carr, it is about Abbot.

Nevertheless, I suspect the appointment of Bob Carr will prove to be disappointment to all except Bob himself. Who must be chuckling all the way to the airport.

For a Party that used to line up such honest folk as John Button, Bill Hayden, John Dawkins, Barry Jones inter alia, Bob Carr stands out like a Munchkin playing for the All Blacks.

The man has more tickets on himself than the bride at a Greek wedding.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 9:40:17 AM
I'll simply reiterate:-

.#...Funny it is, the Labor Party are blinded to the obvious by a total focus on internal machinations. A very low priority is the interests and opinions of the voting supporters: Labor have become an isolated floating and disconnected wreck, in an ocean of disenfranchised ex-Labor faithful...#.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 9:52:11 AM
The 1% coalition is getting some flack about, taking orders from the top money earners in AU. Big Joe to is under scrutiny, also.
They have something like 70 billion $ shortfall. Joe says there is about 20,000 public servents in Canberra that can go, for a start.
Business is not happy about paying for the coalition maternity leave capped at 500,000 / year.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 10:22:42 AM
...Never mind, the looming war with Iran should distract the attention from Political ineptitude's well off into the distant future!

...Australians will continue to receive what they DON"T deserve from the disconnected political elitists; and one rare but sure issue they will all agree to, is another WAR!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 10:43:07 AM
Australians deserve everything from the miners. The resources belong to all of us not just a few people.
You can not be politically involved with AU's richest people what sort of consensus is that.
The coalition are losing their way big time.
I don't think it will go down to well with the party.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 10:59:26 AM
As I was reading the Article, I was wondering exactly what was his point.

He didn't like the Libs, slagged of the Nationals, hasn't been impressed with Julia to date, Carr just "appears" and he detests Rudd.

But... wait for it.. he hates Abbott.

If he had put the correct title on the Article, I could have skipped it.
Posted by Aspley, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 12:27:13 PM
Thanks, Aspley. I'd recommend you read the piece again. Six points: I do like the Libs (I vote for them). I think the Nationals have a great place in Australian politics. Gillard is impressive in many ways. Carr DID just appear. I don't hate Rudd (I've known him for years and whatever his caucus colleagues might say, he's a nice guy). And I don't hate Tony Abbott either.

But it's abundantly clear that Carr's presence is a game-changer, because all the interconnections in federal Labor will now have to be reset, because (I contend) Carr's appointment as FM neuters Rudd forever, and because if there is no further destabilising and an election is not held until the end of next year, Labor has an opportunity to make a real match of it.
Posted by Scribe, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 1:31:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spindoc,I have to agree.If Labor get up after that litany of debacles you've listed then there is no hope for the country.We get stupid pollies because stupid people keep electing them.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 2:36:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We get stupid pollies because stupid people keep electing them.
Arjay,
In a nutshell !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 3:41:38 PM
And precisely what is the point of still whining about a couple of websites that got shut down by the conglomerates?

Howard started two wars.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 7 March 2012 3:46:23 AM
John Howard was pretty active as PM but I don't think he started two wars. (The issue of whether Australia should have participated in two "wars" started by someone else is an entirely different debate.)
Posted by Scribe, Wednesday, 7 March 2012 3:32:04 PM
Wow Scribe, have you been asleep.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Thursday, 8 March 2012 4:10:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy