The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Edith Trilogy and rationalism > Comments

The Edith Trilogy and rationalism : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 2/3/2012

Edith Berry shows how rationality alone is inadequate to the challenges of transforming the world.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
But if nothing really matters Yabby, why do you bother with participating in these forums?

But frittering away your time doing this until you die and go into oblivion is as "good" as doing anything else, I guess.
Posted by JP, Friday, 2 March 2012 11:56:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi JP, we haven’t met before or a least crossed swords so, Hi, I’m pleased to meet you. Well, when I say “met” of course I’m speaking metaphorically.

So, having pointed to some tens of millions of human created rules across seven human domains, created over the last eight millennia your response is, “ultimately there really are no rules”.

This really is excellent analysis however, for the benefit of those on OLO that are not doing banned substances, could you please explain?

If you feel the need to keep speaking in “fradgedongle” don’t worry; a few OLOer’s here still keep our “Babel fish” handy.

For further assistance you can call me on……. You know, nudge, nudge, eh!

If you are obsessive compulsive – Press “1” repeatedly

If you are co-dependent - ask someone to press “2” for you

If you have multiple personalities – Press 3, 4, 5 and 6

If paranoid – we know where you are and what you want, stay on the line and we will trace your call.

If you are delusional – press “7” and you will be transferred to the “Mother Ship”

If you are schizophrenic – listen very carefully and a small voice will tell you what number to press.

If you are depressive – It doesn’t matter what key you press, no one will answer you.

If you are dyslexic – press 69,69,69,69.

If you have a nervous disorder – please fidget with the “#” key until you hear the “Beep”, after the “Beep” please wait for the “Beep”

If you have short term memory loss – please try again later.

If you have low self esteem – please hang up now because all our operators are too busy to take your call.

Many thanks.
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 2 March 2012 1:01:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*But if nothing really matters Yabby, why do you bother with participating in these forums?*

Ah JP, but that is up to me to decide what matters and why.
Far better then falling for the snakeoil, as millions do.

As it happens I am in the fortunate position of being able to
spend some time doing the things I want to do, rather then
the things that I have to do. Time on OLO is something I enjoy.

I also have a great deal of empathy for those who suffer from
poverty, hunger and misery, inflicted on them by the dogma
of the snakeoil salesmen. So I mention it here, when the
topic comes up for discussion.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 2 March 2012 1:52:21 PM
Yes Spindoc, of course people have made up plenty of rules, but ultimately none of them are of any consequence. If a person has the inclination and is clever enough they can largely ignore these rules and die untouched by any penalty of the law. (see http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=7544 If you can get away with it, just do it)

Yabby, without wanting to appear rude, I have to ask, if nothing really matters, why should anyone care what you think about anything?
Posted by JP, Friday, 2 March 2012 2:33:49 PM
An interesting article, though raising more questions than answers, but its being drawn from a work of fiction should not dissuade serious attention - after all, part of the purpose of better fiction and drama is to provoke review and introspection, an evaluation of possibilities. Rejection on the basis of a perceived 'religious' interest is also a convenient cop-out, an avoidance of reasoned evaluation.

In so many ways the 'ideal' human condition appears to defy prescription, and to defy attainment - although it is the ultimate quest, or should be, and without which the chronicle of human savagery appears set to continue unabated millennium beyond millennium. And what is this ideal, if not the attainment of peaceful and harmonious coexistence, cooperation and collaboration in a truly sustainable world?

Although the author finds fault with rationalism as a means for attaining perfection in humanity, perhaps this derives from too narrow a view of rationalism, and of its potentials. As the human animal operates as a collaboration of intellect, emotion, tradition, culture and assimilated beliefs, surely attainment of the ideal must encompass a balancing of all of these facets, rather than any attempt to banish or regulate out of existence any facets which prove difficult or contrary. Rather than banishing history, perhaps the world must fully embrace history, accept its messages of failure, and learn from past mistakes in forging a new and sustainable future.

The greatest fault of humanity is competitiveness, and it is this which is most difficult to overcome or redirect - ingrained as it were in the innate survival mechanism, the need to procreate, to attain immortality, and to attain advantage in that interest. The prime question is whether this drive can be directed towards the interests of humanity as a whole, rather than the individual interest. And surely this is the key?

God is not likely to save humankind, but reason - and reason or rationalism in a vacuum will be equally unsuccessful.
Posted by Saltpetre, Friday, 2 March 2012 3:05:16 PM
Ah JP, you are not rude at all, its a valid question. As I pointed out, what
matters is in the eye of the beholder. Nobody needs to read
a single post of mine, so be it.

As it happens, I think that my posts are quite rational, I also feel empathy without
the potential reward of a ticket to heaven, so its
clearly a part of my genetic makeup. I express what I think and feel,
others are free to make of it what they will.

I also love the gems on OLO that appear now and then, from posters
like Pericles, Divergence, Poirot and Houllie. As I am not bogged down by dogma,
my mind is open to any new ideas and thoughts, especially if based on
the rational rather then the supernatural. I tend to learn something new,
nearly every single day, which is for me, part of what it is
all about for me. I've come along way in terms of understanding the
world, in comparison to the wide eyed 5 year old who actually believed
the nonsense that those Catholic nuns tried to brainwash me
with.Thank Allah for that :)
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 2 March 2012 3:10:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy