The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Knowledge in the new age of piracy > Comments

Knowledge in the new age of piracy : Comments

By Julian Cribb, published 27/2/2012

Public funds but private goods rule the economics of academic publishing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Wise words, bren122. .The decline in the manufacturing sectors of all 'developed' countries is alarming. Like us and most European countries except Germany, France is losing jobs as 'free trade' sends manufacturers off shore to cheap labour. The possibility of being held to ransom in the future is increasing.
Bonmot, clearly you have had no experience of publishing innovative research in international journals. Scientists are no different from other humans, and often jealously guard what they see as their domain and 'expertise'. A blog name is no protection if specific circumstances are quoted. I'll take your ignorance as an excuse for your unkind insinuation that I'm making it up. Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant.
Posted by ybgirp, Sunday, 4 March 2012 9:22:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well its not just private corporations. It pees me off that I
am expected to pay CSIRO 25$ to read papers that are 25 years and
older. Not only my taxes, but many of my research levies went to
help fund the work.

With the advent of the internet, hopefully the monopoly of the big
journal publishing companies will be broken. That should include
CSIRO.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 4 March 2012 10:49:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Au contraire ybgirp,

Most people understand that assertions/opinions such as you have made should be backed up - at least if you want others to take them seriously.

If you can't agree with that, or are too precious for your assertions to be challenged, so be it.

Let's be clear on one thing, ybgirp. You don't know me or what experience in publishing I have had. Yet again, you make another wild assertion, without proof.

Have an opinion, it is your right. However, your ignorance of me is no excuse to infer things about me - regardless of your claimed writing from "experience".

Whether you believe that or not, is relevant.

As one dear sleuth has said; "I believe that once we isolate ourselves psychologically from the natural world, of which we are a part, we invite the sort of fracture and angst that we modern humans experience."

Perhaps we can agree on that.
Posted by bonmot, Sunday, 4 March 2012 11:33:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear bonmot, Hercule Poirot, said some useful things, but I fail to see the relevance of reminding me that if we isolate ourselves psychologically from the natural world, of which we are a part, we invite the sort of fracture and angst that modern humans experience.
In fact, I haven't isolated myself from nature--far from it, and fortunately have not suffered from fracture and 'angst'. I agree that evidence should usually be offered in support of assertions, and to that end I suggested you read a book. I'm pleased you think there is no back-stabbing in science, although the sad fate of Dr Pangloss should be a warning for those who imagine all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
Let's leave it there.
Posted by ybgirp, Sunday, 4 March 2012 12:17:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy