The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What carbon price is right to bite into, not bark at, climate change? > Comments

What carbon price is right to bite into, not bark at, climate change? : Comments

By Ted Christie, published 3/2/2012

Twenty-one dollars a tonne is too timid a carbon price to make any impact

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Food for thought:

http://theconversation.edu.au/heatwaves-mozzies-dengue-and-droughts-how-climate-change-threatens-our-health-13
Posted by bonmot, Saturday, 4 February 2012 7:59:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For Jon J

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/NPP/news/npp-ceres-firstlight.html

As usual, facts get in the way of your favourite blogger.
Posted by bonmot, Saturday, 4 February 2012 8:05:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must have missed something, bonmot. What does your NASA site statement (which I've read) have to do with JonJ's reference to the costs of mitigation?
Posted by Don Aitkin, Saturday, 4 February 2012 10:59:50 AM
The proce should be $zero per tonne because this is a pheony goody goddies tax that is ridiculous.

We only need the mining rent resoruces tax to be beefed up to 40% and have a tax on share and derivative etc trading made by wealthy individuals and companies of 1% or something to support the working class materially, socially and culturally.

Climate change will not be improved by carbon tax or emmissions trading schemes. In fact we cannot even proove that variations in cliamte is due to carbon.

We should move to geo-thermal, solar , LNG etc and give tax breaks until these industries gain a decent market share over coal and then revert them to the full company tax rate after that.

No amount of media/government spin from goody goody middle classers will change my mind. In fact the relentless urging from them I view as an insultto me and to working class labor voters who have more mainstream industrial and union concerns.
Posted by Webby, Saturday, 4 February 2012 11:28:57 AM
The currant coal burning power providers are moving to solar and wind to divest their power generation. The carbon price will keep their mind on the job, without it nothing would happen.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 4 February 2012 11:38:06 AM
Ted, I just want to correct an error in your article. You state that “The Federal Government also has a new long-term target: to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 80 per cent below 2000 levels by 2050. However, no details for the projected carbon price for each tonne of carbon dioxide for achieving this target have been given.”

Can I direct you to page 76 of the Treasury modelling (http://www.treasury.gov.au/carbonpricemodelling/content/report.asp) where chart 5.1 clearly sets out Treasury’s estimates of the carbon price out to 2050. The range in 2050 is from $130 to $275 per tonne of CO2 depending on the scenario considered.

It should also be pointed out that Treasury (realistically in my opinion if we insist on not using nuclear power) assumes that only just over half of the abatement will be domestically derived. The balance will come from international sources so this is not just a domestic issue as perhaps suggested by some of the comments here.
Posted by Martin N, Saturday, 4 February 2012 1:59:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All