The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The right to choose the right to choose > Comments

The right to choose the right to choose : Comments

By Natasha Stott Despoja, published 29/9/2005

Natasha Stott Despoja argues pregnancy counsellors who won't refer for terminations should advertise the fact.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. All
Newsroo I’m a meta-ethical moral relativist so if our society allows abortion on the current justification then euthanasia is viable choice both for persons & non-persons. Harder but not impossible from a Pro-life position

So are you saying we should be able to euthanase post natal non-persons & experiment on them?

As far as no immediate alternative care giver to a fetus ok fine but that means any caregiver who cannot get immediate alternative care can kill their non-person. If you use the ‘I cannot give them up’ rationale then that is another reason to kill them. One also wonders what this says for any situation were a person suffers by caring for a non-person ie lost , injured, disaster zone etc & has to wait until an alternative carer can arrive , are you happy that we allow them to die or in fact kill them to save ourselves distress? To make matters worse you actually caused that non-person to be in that predicament but to you there is no responsibility or obligation for doing so.

Our difference could be explained –if you are consistent of allowing the use of non-person post natals – is the prioritizing of our values. To me the value of a human life & taking responsibility for actions –however detrimental personally- willingly entered into takes precedence of any suffering caused to your body. Just because pregnancy is the suffering encountered by the woman & not the man does not excuse it.

What you are saying is if I suffer from the consequence of an action I knew & willingly took part in, if that involves a human non-person I can end any potential suffering by taking its life. Consistently apply it to all situations ie post natal non-persons or otherwise you are morally inconsistent.

BTW it seemed Denny’s post made Natasha’s seem superfluous

Not sure on your General Anaesthetic it’s a logical call to make but whether it is factually true I don’t know.

Anyway I’m falling behind in work thank you for the manner you have debated I’ll give you the last say
Posted by Neohuman, Wednesday, 19 October 2005 10:40:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I had to make a decision to whether to have an abortion or not just over 30 years ago,the worst thing I remember about it is the pressure that I was put under to force me to have one.It seems to me that pressure is still just as pervasive today.Maybe even more than it was then.I feel that I was a victim of the pro abortion mentality,the negative attitude of abortion pushers.If Natasha really wants to do something positive,she can do something about making sure cases like mine don't happen. I. know that abortion clinics are complicit in an act of domestic violence ,I really wanted my baby,I wish I had known there were people who could have helped me at the time.To be treated badly because you don't want one isn't wonderfull.I have spoken to someone who said I was in a minority,well that is not at all comforting.Abortion has a really ugly oppressive side to it and it is high time something was done about it, it seems to me that to be oppressively pessimistic about being pregnant is what being pro choice is and that is my assessment of the debate.
Posted by alijay, Tuesday, 25 October 2005 8:48:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy