The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pontification on gay marriage. > Comments

Pontification on gay marriage. : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 27/1/2012

What did the pope really say about gay marriage?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The same words have different meanings when usd by different people. Religious liberty to me includes the right not to be taxed to support any religion and government neither promoting nor restricting religion. That would mean in Australia the end of chaplains in public schools and subsidizing religious schoools. That would also mean the freedom to accept any or reject all religions. I'm sure the pope does not mean that by religious liberty. He has spoken against a secular society which I think is necessary for religious liberty.

The pope spoke on economic inequity and climate change. However, a prime threat to the curbing of both economic inequity and climate change is uncontrolled population growth. Without addressing that I do not think one can be serious about lessening economic inequity and climate change.

I agree with the pope that education is crucial. Where women are allowed access to education it is an effective means of population control as educated women tend to have fewer children. However, at the Cairo Population Conference the Catholic Church allied itself with the Islamic representatives. In return for Muslim opposition to abortion the Catholic representatives agreed to oppose education for women.

Religious liberty does not mean the same thing to me as it means to the pope. I cannot take the pope's concern with economic inequity and climate change seriously since he does not consider a major cause.
Posted by david f, Friday, 27 January 2012 11:11:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said David.

Whatever the pope says will not make the slightest bit of difference to anything. One fundamental reason is because he and the organization of which he is the head are very much part of the problem.

Besides which he is the head of the worlds oldest and successful criminal corporation - the catholic church altogether and the papacy in particular. See the Criminal History of the Papacy by Tony Bushby.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 27 January 2012 11:26:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sadly, the Pope has been misinformed on the subject of climate change. He has been misinformed by certain pressure groups who propagandise the dogma that man-made climate change is real. Those groups unquestionably accept anthropogenic global warming. They simply believe the alarmist assertions of the IPCC, that anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions are the driver of global warming, or in IPCC words, 'climate change'.

In fact neither the IPCC nor anyone else has been able to table scientific evidence that proves the IPCC hypothesis. The Pope needs to be made to realise that climate change is a natural process that has been going on since Earth's beginning.

The author is being disingenuous in suggesting that the Pope has gone quiet on opposing gay marriage, and that the Catholic Church is mellowing on the subject.

Like man-made climate change, there is no compelling scientific evidence that proves the hypothesis that certain humans are born gay. To engage in homosexual sexual behaviour is a choice. There are numerous examples whereby people have switched from heterosexual relationships to homosexual relationships, and vice versa. There are psychiatrists who are successful in assisting people to change their sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual.
Posted by Raycom, Friday, 27 January 2012 11:43:37 AM
Raycom evidence please to support your antigay stance.
Posted by Kipp, Friday, 27 January 2012 1:51:23 PM
To engage in heterosexual sexual behaviour is a choice.

Perhaps you will one day have a homosexual sexual experience, Raycom.

After all "There are numerous examples whereby people have switched from heterosexual relationships to homosexual relationships, and vice versa."
Posted by Stezza, Friday, 27 January 2012 2:18:40 PM
Dear Raycom,

As I mentioned in my first post population control is essential to deal with poverty and climate change. If we can induce more people to become exclusively homosexual and not produce babies we can decrease the birth rate. We need to persuade more people to become homosexual. I am 86, and it is too late for me. Raycom, maybe you can help to produce more homosexuals. They are needed.
Posted by david f, Friday, 27 January 2012 2:53:51 PM
Yes, perhaps the seeming increase of homosexual relationships is part of Gods plan or strategy for limiting or reducing the human population.

After all everything without exception, is supposed to be created by God who is supposed to have a "plan" for humankind.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 27 January 2012 3:01:32 PM
Stezza,
Male bisexuals are almost always homosexuals who will have sex with women under certain circumstances but almost invariably only enter monogamous relationships with other gay men, though I understand that female bisexuals may be genuinely sexually ambivalent, put that down to gender differences.
I can't find the original thesis on which I normally rely to back this position, It was on my old computer which went to heaven just before christmas, since you're insistent on evidence and bibliography this link is the best I can give at short notice.
http://www.bitheway.co.uk/2008/08/16/are-all-bisexual-men-closet-gay/
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 27 January 2012 3:09:15 PM
Daffy.
You're forgetting Satan, if you take God seriously you have to take the fallen one seriously as well because he too has a plan for us all.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 27 January 2012 3:11:17 PM
David F,
Good luck with that, most traditional societies don't even have a word for homosexuality with which to conceptualise the practice and you're talking about converting a billion Muslims, a billion Third World Christians and three quarters of a billion Hindus.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 27 January 2012 3:16:29 PM
I cringe every time I see the Pope uttering his utterances which are normally a whole lot of .......I am sure if JC was to return to earth he would not be dressed in an exceedingly expensive white outfit, plus funny hat, nor riding around in a funny popemobile, yes you can pontificate all you like and keep the Catholic church going by having all of those poor countries not using contraception and then bleet about how we should look after the poor, which is in your own making, one could go on for ever with the stupidity of the Pope and all the Popes before him.
I do agree with David and Daffy Duck.
As I am and Atheist I do not have the hang ups with Gay marriage, and as others have pointed out perhaps it is a way to control population explosion as is happening now, on the subjest of Hetero changing to being Gay perhaps some men require more than the missionary position, during their married life, perhaps men are the answer.
Posted by Ojnab, Friday, 27 January 2012 4:02:35 PM
Yeah I'm sure the Gay lobby is going to be thrilled about a bunch of nutty old heterosexuals promoting the Homosexual minority group as the agent of global Genocide, do you guys even read your own posts?
If you want to commit global genocide just say it outright, why not lobby the U.N to round all the third worlders up into camps and nerve gas them? That's what you want after all, so why put entire races and cultures through the agony of watching their own people die out?
You do realise that promotion of genocide is a crime under international law?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 27 January 2012 10:35:35 PM
Jay, you do care for the gay community, so is there any chance you can up your support to gay people, instead of denigrating them !!
Posted by Kipp, Sunday, 29 January 2012 4:26:40 PM
@Jay of Melbourne, is this the link you lost when you lost your computer?
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/health/05sex.html?pagewanted=all

@Kipp, I suspect Jay is just being provocative.
What sort of support would you like to see?
Posted by Alan Austin, Sunday, 29 January 2012 10:09:31 PM
To acknowledge that same sex marriage, will have absolutly no affect on anyone.
In other words Put up or Shut up!
Posted by Kipp, Monday, 30 January 2012 12:48:27 PM
Kipp, I think we are now seeing history move in this direction.

Yes, it is painfully slow in many quarters - including some large and powerful religious institutions - but acceptance of same-sex unions is growing in Australia and other countries.

In some places the Christian churches are leading the way. And even in the Roman Catholic community there are positive signs that the old beliefs and teachings are up for review.

We live in intriguing times.
Posted by Alan Austin, Monday, 30 January 2012 3:53:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy