The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Credentialism high > Comments

Credentialism high : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 24/1/2012

The economy does not need the number of university graduates it is getting.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Thanks for your link, Houellebecq. Interestingly, EU statistics suggest that Germany and Switzerland have a comparably high percentage of students doing these 'soft' degrees - perhaps even in women's studies.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php?title=File:Students_in_tertiary_education,_2009_%281%29.png&filetimestamp=20111117133441

As it happens, I have such a 'soft' degree. I am an English and history teacher and, in keeping with the demand that teachers have deep knowledge of their subject areas, I have both undergrad and postgrad qualifications in my fields. I also don't object to learning for the sake of learning - I think that collective knowledge in a wide variety of fields enriches our country.

I will say, though, that the notion that university education is an essential component of success needs to be put to rest. My dad, who has successfully managed - and even turned around - companies for the past 25 years, is now undertaking undergrad studies because his experience and know-how no longer open doors for him. He can rise close to the top of a company, but usually sits below some clown who calls the shots without really knowing what he is doing. My mum is in a similar position in her field. Despite being at the top of her game for many years, she sits alongside smug and condescending uni graduates who make more mistakes, do a sloppier job but have a firmer career path because they have more letters after their names.

I think many of our degrees are 'broken', too. A teaching degree is a four-year qualification and, having undertaken that course, I'm of a firm belief that it's only four years to ensure a suitable age gap between graduates and the students they will teach. I did an entire subject revolving around the question of 'what is a school?', and another that explained how to use students as unwitting guinea pigs in educational research. Neither has helped me in my work, and both seem to be part of the 'padding' to justify the degree's duration.

Just some thoughts there.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 26 January 2012 12:05:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In my organisation very capable managers have been ousted & replaced by gonad devoid degree waving bureaucrats. The organisation now costs ten times more to run & achieves half of what was achieved before.
Yet our leaders are telling us what great progress is being made. That is the frightening scenario.
Decent, capable people have to forfeit their jobs to make space for degree carrying space-wasters.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 26 January 2012 7:44:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indy,

Hasbeen has said before he is a scientist, and now an engineer. Yet you infer he's a space-waster because of his 'degrees'?

For what it's worth, there are far more capable and credentialled people doing TAFE courses than going to university to wave degrees on graduation like Hasbeen.
Posted by bonmot, Thursday, 26 January 2012 8:17:19 AM
bonmot,
If you digest Hasbeen's post properly you'll find that he has pragmatism & that puts him in a league on its own. Stop throwing all eggs into the same basket just because it's an easy way of arguing. It's too academic. Don't forget Academics aren't scientists or managers etc, people who used academia to improve their potential are those who contribute to society via the use of taxpayers funding rather than simply depleting it.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 26 January 2012 8:27:09 AM
Scientists and engineers are pragmatic - they have to be.

Academics who teach the scientists and engineers have to be scientists and engineers first.
Posted by bonmot, Thursday, 26 January 2012 10:06:40 AM
bonmot,
Academics are people who convey knowledge to people who desire to go on to learn more than what they have been taught. Academics are learned people who don't have their own knowledge base so to speak. Simply put they're like teachers, like repeaters in the communication system. They only convey what they had been provided with, they do not build upon & enhance their knowledge. That is being done by those who think.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 26 January 2012 10:24:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy