The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > John Howard's dishonour > Comments

John Howard's dishonour : Comments

By Stuart Rees, published 4/1/2012

John Howard's Order of Merit could only have been dreamed up by a malevolent Gilbert and Sullivan.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
I do not hold out any hope of living to see the day when Howard in company with Bush and Blair are all standing before the court in The Hague for war crimes. By any standards they should be and would be convicted.
Unfortunately even if this were to happen it would not undo the harm these three men have caused.
It shows how the so called democratic and justice systems we have are a farce.
It also proves the saying “the winners write the history”.
Posted by sarnian, Wednesday, 4 January 2012 8:37:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh the outrage!

Is it because the headline was on the front page of the SMH? A place usually reserved for criticism of conservatives. The author must be one of the last remaining readers, probably picked up a free copy.

Is it because of an honor bestowed on someone, and I notice the author doesn't mind receiving honors himself .. Emeritus Professor no less, how quaint. (hypocrite?)

Or is it just the ongoing disability to understand PM John (MOS) Howard was immensely popular, that the election he lost was by a whisker, and his seat loss .. well, we all know how much skullduggery was involved and it was but a moment later and the ALPBC person, whatever their name was, lost it, and with typical ALP bad grace, complained it was not their fault. (boo hoo)

Losing his seat after a lifetime in politics has not reduced the man's stature, though his haters revel in it, like dogs returning to their vomit (that line describes Howard haters so well).

Trying to stir up hatred of a fine man, just reflects badly on the author, as it does for most purveyors of hate speech and poisonous writing.

So Howard's a monarchist, big deal, and I used to be a republican until the attempt at a republic exposed the likes of Turnbull et al as being greedy, self obsessed prima donnas with no plan beyond gaining power for themselves in the republican "movement". Turnbull fits so much better into the philosophical camp of the ALP, who reflect his obsession for power, with no plan of what to do with it.

Howard himself said it, "being in power is an opportunity to do great things" and he did, and yes, he should have passed the baton and moved on .. but I forgive him, as do most Australians.

I do miss him .. the current lot are just hollow vessels.

I find it amusing that so many of his haters, are so hypocritical and display it constantly.

It's about picking sides isn't it, not principles for the left.
Posted by rpg, Wednesday, 4 January 2012 8:48:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many of the asylum seekers were receiving better treatment than most people in Australia. (Eg swimming pools, air conditioning, TV's and videos, free food etc). In fact someone would have to pay considerable amounts of money at a tourist resort to receive such treatment.

The economy always looked better under Howard than under (what's her name, can't remember it now), but if she ever says "people of Australia" one more time, then no more TV time for her.

Howard's fawning towards George Bush was a major blemish, but nothing compared to what's her name's fawning towards Obama, not to mention Oprah.

In all, Howard wasn't great, but a major plus compared to what's her name. I wonder if he would be interested in running again for Prime Minister.

Not much opposition really.
Posted by vanna, Wednesday, 4 January 2012 9:05:14 AM
The author's critique of Howard is typical of the Lefty moral elite, short on facts and big on opinion and hyperbole masquerading as facts.

Its funny how the Left doesn't assume Gillard is similarly complicit in any drone bombings of civilians in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Apparently when Obama and Gillard fight wars they are immune from the same types of criticisms from the same types of academics.

I'd love to know how Howard and Bush in Iraq is any different from Gillard and Obama in Afghanistan. I can't wait for the rationalisations to stream forth.

Authors, like the above believe, as the Left commonly do, that if they fill their 'analyses' with opinion and sad stories that everyone will automatically feel outraged and supportive of them. The real issue here is that the Professor's facts are thin on the ground while his emotion is high.

The author apparently cannot remember the years of taunting by Sadam Hussein during which the world believed he was hiding nuclear weapons. For 10 years he sent UN inspectors away.

Now Iran is doing the same thing. OK Professor do we let Iran go? Sorry, academics are only wise after the event, I shouldn't have asked.

The fact is Professor your mob runs the show now and we are still fighting wars.
Posted by Atman, Wednesday, 4 January 2012 9:07:53 AM
I had not heard that Tony Jones had retired or is their another spot on the ABC/SBS propaganda machine vacant that the Professor is looking for.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 4 January 2012 9:20:47 AM
Julia Gillard.

That's it.

I'd forgotten her name.
Posted by vanna, Wednesday, 4 January 2012 9:42:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy