The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'I matter!' - Kids against Climate Change. > Comments

'I matter!' - Kids against Climate Change. : Comments

By Michael Kile, published 30/12/2011

Children are being enlisted to be the advance guard of the climate crusade.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. All
Kids or no Kids Mr Popnperish…
How often do the facts need to be printed: -
1. CO2 is not a pollutant. You drink it every day in your drink of Coco-Cola or carbonated drink.
2. This year is the coldest on record so far...?
3. The exaggeration of the truth is exampled by those photos of industry exhaust stacks...What you see is water vapour coming out of those exhaust stacks and that is not a pollutant.
4. As has been stated CO2 is necessary for life itself and makes up a microscopic part of the atmosphere. Nature produces almost all of it. Even if we increase it –
pollution will be unaffected as it is a harmless, odourless, tasteless trace gas.
5. The augment is about how to justify the funding of the new climate managing departments of the public sector when justification does not exist.
6. The impact of the fraudulent Carbon Tax will make industry uncompetitive against developing countries; increase the cost to business, the taxpayer and the consumer.
7. The Kyoto Protocol is dead in 2012.
8. In the EU the price of Carbon has fallen to a third of its original value and continues to be set downwards to encourage trading. It is now so valueless that it is cheaper for manufacturers to pay for “polluting” as opposed to trading a Carbon Credit.
How does an Aussie say it, “All the bulldust is coming down round your ears cobber…!”
Posted by Frederick Van Dorestien, Friday, 30 December 2011 4:26:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"It's an ugly business, Watson. The more I see of it, the less I like it."

Popnperish

A propos Professor Anderson, he is a marine engineer, not a climate scientist.

Does his involvement with a company - Greenstone Carbon Management - with a commercial interest in carbon (dioxide) emissions advisory activities/trading constitute a conflict of interest? If not, why not?

http://www.tyndall.ac.uk/users/kevin-anderson

Role at Tyndall

Professor Kevin Anderson holds a Chair in Energy and Climate Change at the School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering at the University of Manchester from where he leads the Tyndall Centre's energy and emissions-related research. He is former Acting Director of the Tyndall Centre.

In addition to Kevin’s academic work, he is regularly called on to give advice to Government and Industry stakeholders, as well as to contribute to wider public and policy fora on climate change.

Kevin is a qualified marine engineer and has 12 years industrial experience, principally in the petrochemical industry.

He is currently a non-executive director of Greenstone Carbon Management – a London based company advising leading firms and public bodies on how to manage their carbon emissions and is commissioner on the Welsh Assembly Government’s ‘Climate Change Committee’.

Alice
Posted by Alice Thermopolis, Friday, 30 December 2011 4:48:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh come on, Frederick Van Dorestien, how much is the fossil fuel lobby paying you to write such rubbish? But given that the Test has finished, I'll take the time to answer each point:
1)CO2 is not a pollutant in small amounts but it does trap heat - please google Arrhenius
2)In some parts of the world, it has been a cold year thanks to it being a La Nina year, but, on the other hand, it has been a very warm La Nina year
3)There are things coming out of the stacks other than water vapour, like carbon dioxide, which along with water vapour, trap heat in the stmosphere
4) Yes, without some cvarbon dioxide it would be too cold to support life - but that's the point isn't it? It traps heat. Too much of it makes the earth too hot
5) The amount of money going to climate departments is miniscule compared to the costs of climate warming if left unchecked. If we go to four degrees of warming over pre-industrial levels then sea-levels will rise by a metre every 20 years. Goodbye Docklands in Melbourne for starters. How much will that cost?
6) Now that we have the Durban agreement in which the developing world has come on board, the argument that we will be uncompetitive with such countries as China and India no longer holds water
7) The Kyoto Protocol has been extended until 2014 and will be replaced by the Durban agreement.
8) Yes, the EU carbon trading is flawed (lessons learnt from it however!) but countries are loathe to lift the price with some countries like Greece close to bankruptcy, events which have little to do with the trading scheme

The bulldust is all on your head, mate...
Posted by popnperish, Friday, 30 December 2011 4:58:40 PM
Alice Thermopolis

Sounds like Kevin Anderson is eminently qualified. Clearly if he is Chair in Energy and Climate Change at the School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering at the University of Manchester then the University does not mind that he is a marine engineer. The oceans have a lot to do with climate science. As for his involvement in Greenstone Carbon Management, doesn't sound like conflict of interest to me - sounds like he's simply trying to save the world by getting corporations to manage their carbon emissions better.
Posted by popnperish, Friday, 30 December 2011 5:08:11 PM
WAS GALILEO A SCIENTIST OR AN ACTIVIST?

An interesting question, Grim.

Activism, n. a policy of taking direct and often miltant action to achieve an end, esp. a political or social one.

When Kepler sent Galileo a copy of his Cosmic Mysteries, his reply included this paragraph:

"Many years ago I aceppted Copernicus's theory, and from that point of view I discovered the reason for numerous natural phenomena which unquesitonably cannot be explained by the conventional (Ptolemaic) cosmology. I have written down many arguments as well as refutations of objections. These, however, I have not dared to publish up to now. For I am thoroughly frightened by what happened to our master, Copernicus. Although he won immortal fame among some persons, nevertheless among countless (for so large is the number of fools) he became a target of ridicule and derision. I would of course have the courage to make my thoughts public, if there were more people like you. But since there aren't, I shall avoid this kind of activity."

Galileo arguably wasn't an "activist" until 1632, when he published his most famous work, The Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, and was tried for it in early 1633.

As for Copernicus, he wasn't an activist at all. While he started his great book, On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres, early in the sixteenth century with a summary, Commentariolus, the first edition wasn't published until just before he passed away, aged 70, on 24 May, 1543.

He had this advice for the philosopher-scientist in his preface to Pope Paul III: It is his "loving duty to seek the truth in all things, in so far as God has granted that to human reason; nevertheless I think we should avoid opinions utterly foreign to rightness."

Alice
Posted by Alice Thermopolis, Friday, 30 December 2011 5:51:49 PM
The use of children in AGW propaganda has been relentless as this review shows:

http://theclimatescepticsparty.blogspot.com/2011/09/kids.html

Any idea which resorts to and depends on such methods should be scorned.
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 30 December 2011 8:34:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17