The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nice wasn’t meant to be easy > Comments

Nice wasn’t meant to be easy : Comments

By Cassandra Wilkinson, published 13/12/2011

As Australians we need never find out for sure whether we are naughty or nice because we are blessed with freedom and prosperity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Yep, we’re a pretty nice bunch, relatively speaking….at the moment.

But crikey, there is an awful lot of ‘unniceness’ lurking just below the surface, which could turn into full-blown horribleness very quickly, if we keep going the way we currently are.

Our tolerance is really being tested, by porous borders, by a PM and opposition leader who just cannot be trusted, by extremely high immigration and the resultant stress on services and infrastructure, by the ordinary citizen benefitting very little, or even in the negative, from the profits being generated from our enormous mineral wealth, etc.

Add to this the very likely downturn of the mining boom in the near future and the rising price of oil, and we could well see massive anger and civil unrest.

We need to be very careful about where we are heading. I could all unravel very quickly.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 8:24:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I could unravel??

Oow.

I think I already am! ( :>|
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 8:36:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A general peek will give the impression that Australians are very, very lucky, and really, really nice. However, we are not. We choose to withhold freedom from some of the most powerless people alive, from children, from asylum seekers, from people who fail to adapt to our currently favoured social norms. We are lucky. We are not nice.

We are lucky in that we can tell ourselves we're nice. We are not nice, because we are part of a political order that harms people. We are highly regulated/controlled. We are not nice. We have not become the people our grandparents died for us to be. We have squandered freedom whilst we withhold it from others. We-are-not-nice.
Posted by ruthie2011, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 9:57:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You say some reasonable things Cassandra but holding up a band whose lead singer drowned in his vomit really is not something we can be proud of. To many imitating their idols.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 1:32:38 PM
I loved this positive thinking, pro-Australian article :)

I agree with all the author said, especially about ACDC... and I still mourn the death of Bonn Scott, no matter how he died!

I like to believe that most Australians are 'nice' because we all live in this very lucky country, that people from so many other nations aspire to migrate to.

We can only get better too.

Advance Australia Fair, and Merry Christmas to all!
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 2:19:20 PM
Advance to where, Suse?
Posted by skeptic, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 5:45:13 PM
Oh I think all countries should aspire to advancement Skeptic!

Advance our ideas, advance our humanitarian efforts, advance our economic growth ... and advance our understanding of a
God/religion-free society :)
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 11:24:06 PM
Advance our economic growth, Suse?
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 11:41:31 PM
Hmmmm! ( :>|
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 16 December 2011 8:19:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy