The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Leadership, liberty and the crisis of authority > Comments

Leadership, liberty and the crisis of authority : Comments

By Frank Furedi, published 17/11/2011

That there is a widespread recognition of the feeble state of leadership is demonstrated by the flourishing of a veritable industry devoted to its cultivation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
...The article decries the absence of the “Alpha-Leader”; but how can he (the gifted leader) rise above the tide of “power and control” mechanisms, so aptly described here, which are so jealously guarded in modern democracies, where leadership, in all its forms, is a sickening display of sycophantia and self-aggrandisement, promoted as a reward for following the “line”.

...We live increasingly in a world where initiative is judged with suspicion and rewarded with rejection.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 17 November 2011 11:40:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The way to get good leaders is to make leadership positions worth holding. This either requires the expenditure of humungous sums of money or finding other ways to elevate potential leaders above the ranks of ordinary human beings. Back in the days when monarchs could exercise their right to have better sex partners, use solid gold bathroom fittings, make their subjects grovel in front of them and execute their enemies, leadership was worth having, and went to those who were competent enough to grab it and keep it. What we get now by comparison are ineffective scoutmasters and Bible study group leaders, keen to impose an ideology on everyone else that they would never remotely consider fighting or dying for themselves.

Luckily an educated population doesn't need good leadership: what they need is leaders who do what they are told. Unfortunately the present crop can't even manage that, and their reign will be short-lived in consequence.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 17 November 2011 7:13:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jon the first part of your post was describing a successful dictator, regardless of what they were called, & we've had a few of them up to quite recent times, in some parts of the world.

I agree we don't want leaders today, what we want is managers, & our last couple could not manage a school tuck shop.

The worst thing about todays crop is that those who are most likely to try to lead us over a cliff are the one most convinced they know it all.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 17 November 2011 10:02:59 PM
Well I think it is time to begin the age of the Black Duck with me as your leader and inspiration ( a bit like a modern day Delphic Oracle).

After all I was born in the dark days of the 1930's along with my other Looney Tunes friends. At the time we were able to provide you poor suffering humans with lots of laughs. And for the duck of me you could all do with a barrel full of non-ironic good humour and belly laughs right now.

Until now I have always hidden the reason why I mysteriously appeared here, out of no where it seems. I was always made fun of in all kinds of embarrassing ways but I always bounced back with wise cracking good humour.

Much like the fabled Owl of Minerva it is time for me to spread my wings and inspire the age of the Black Duck, and of ducks in general.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 18 November 2011 10:04:59 AM
The power of money in politics.

Todays political economic climate has made it difficult for good leaders to rise because of the power of the markets, the panic and the failure to regulate the market under a banner of fairer trade.

When I look at the scale of "hope" I reference the 2005 World Summit. The politics surrounding the world leading to this Summit. The global conversation which focused on Health and Wellbeing, Good Governance and Transparency as well as a number of other issues including Knowledge Transference and Access to Technology.

http://www.google.com.au/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&biw=1217&bih=764&source=hp&q=2005+NGO's+World+Summit&pbx=1&oq=2005+NGO's+World+Summit&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2211l11971l0l12791l23l20l0l0l0l2l2400l8391l5-2.1.2.1.1l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=66cfa7b16673b45e

I note the greater role of the NGO's in this world forum. The inclusive link-up of world citizens who were also able to engage in genuine discussions. Riveting were the calls for "larger freedom: towards development, security and human rights for all" .

http://www.un.org/largerfreedom/

The discussion on Collective Security, reopening the debate on " Responsibility to Protect. Whenever I discuss this topic I reference "Community Crime Prevention" principals that work to empower communities to take more responsibility, ensuring there are projects and programs that connect individuals inclusively, to community. This is a development strategy that helps to loop the marginalised back into the loop. It has both a formal and informal interface. It is a focus on local, national and international locales. It is a serious socio-economic engagement protocol.

http://www.qld.gov.au/web/community-engagement/guides-factsheets/documents/brisbane_declaration.pdf

At the time I had faith in what was occurring in Australia. Our "knowledge" nation drive to pursue greater linkages between government and citizens.

The current breakdown of civility cannot be blamed on leaders alone. Administration's as well as leaders have lost touch with people at ground level. While we have the right policies, it is a lack of engagement principals now amplified by government. Pushing virtual spaces in social media.

Discconectiveness and associated levels of apathy are unfortunately again on the rise. The dehumanised meaning of face-to-face contact is becoming a modern day issue.

Social Isolation is critically something we will need to deal with over coming decades less we dissect the phenomena, before the gap becomes even wider.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Friday, 18 November 2011 11:21:10 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy