The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The rights you thought you had > Comments

The rights you thought you had : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 9/11/2011

Free speech and protest: not the right you thought it was

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
At some stage, someone has to talk about the place and nature of human rights in a democratic society. The original thinking about human rights by Locke, David Hume, Mill and others was that human rights were about protecting individuals from arbitrary oppression by the state. That's what the rule of law is about. The notions of freedom of assembly and speech are about allowing people to meet, form parties, organise for elections etc free from the sort of oppression currently happening in Syria. Of course, people may protest against laws or 'the system' but in a democratic society they have a responsibility to do so in a way that respects the rights of their fellow citizens to go about their business without undue disruption. This last point is what Kellie and the Occupy groups forget. Their rights to protest do not override my right to go about my daily business without disruption. The police are expected to balance these competing claims but in the end, they will and should come down on the side of the majority's right to live their lives peacefully and without harassment by others, no matter what cause they might be prosecuting.
Posted by Senior Victorian, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 4:03:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Protesters aren't real people, they're just physically fit morons.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 4:17:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Morons! That is a bit harsh individual. What about those thugs you supported out there protesting the Carbon Tax or Climate Change. Or doesn't it count if you agree with the sentiments.

Let's try for some bi-partisanship here. Afterall, one day you might think strongly enough about something to protest in the streets.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 5:27:14 PM
pelican,
trust you to come up with this pointless rhetoric. I DO NOT support any kind of demonstration that is a mere thrashing fest for morons. Yes pelican, morons. Anyone standing up for these morons is a moron also.
As other posters have already made quite clear, there's demonstrating & there's demonstrating. Morons don't demonstrate, they demolish.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 6:03:44 PM
Gee I love the grand hypocracy of the conservative lot who are being shafted by the very system they adore.Prof William K Black was a regulator back in the 1990's.He said there is absolute evidence of mortagage fraud in Fannie and Freddie in 90% of cases.Pension funds and super funds here lost 50% of their value,yet the regulators refuse to act and Occupy protestors get called criminals?

The real criminals continue to screw us and we the lemmings continue to praise those who are robbing us blind! I'm surrounded by blithering idiots who think that sucking up to their masters will make it all better.The really big shafting is about to happen.Italy cannot be bailed out and the Gillard Govt wants to borrow more in our name and give it to the IMF,for bailouts, who created the problem in the first place.

I'm now convinced that humans are terminally stupid in the realm of economics.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 9 November 2011 7:58:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican

Comments as puerile as Individual's latest are why I no longer actively participate at OLO. I can only conclude that Individual and his ilk are gazing into mirrors when they post their pointless rubbish. Nothing more telling than projection.

I am sure that Individual includes the wealthy mining executives who protest taxing their super-profits such as Gina Rinehart as "morons" as well. "Morons don't demonstrate, they demolish."

Yeah.

I find intelligent debate (and articles) now on http://theconversation.edu.au/.
Posted by Ammonite, Thursday, 10 November 2011 7:56:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy