The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Leadership is the art of the impossible > Comments

Leadership is the art of the impossible : Comments

By John Tomlinson, published 3/11/2011

When it comes to pragmatic managers of the political agenda, it really boils down to such leaders trying to serve broader community interests as they set out to advance their narrower personal aims.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I am sorry you feel so cynical about Australian democratic politics.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 4 November 2011 6:27:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting, I was thinking this article mentioning politicians weighing the public good against narrower personal aims was going to be about corruption and privatization.

And it arguably holds true in the NT intervention (as I don't believe that it was done to impress anyone- though I admit that the only part that impressed me was despite all the complaining about how hard and how expensive it would be to send some doctors in remote areas- that it was so easy in the case of the intervention- but only if police, army and absurd martial law was declared- according to Howard).

Migrants however were clearly an attempt to win majority voter support- which in a democracy is the point. The counter argument says that because one Australian politician (ironically our most tyrannical) signed them up without their consent to a contract, that they are forever obligated to effectively forgo what they consider their own rights and accommodate whoever wants to come.
Posted by King Hazza, Friday, 4 November 2011 9:05:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This history of achievements does not appear to reflect the art of leadership, but rather problem solving and management. Both of these aspects may call upon different forms of leadership, though it is often the case that they are process-driven. I had hoped to read an analysis of perhaps just one of these achievements, exploring, exposing, reflecting on leadership styles which enabled it.
Posted by Rolla, Thursday, 10 November 2011 4:46:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy