The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Attacks on Occupy fuel the fire > Comments

Attacks on Occupy fuel the fire : Comments

By Pip Hinman, published 28/10/2011

To every police action there is an opposite and even stronger one.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
AR: So you would have supported the break up of the protests in Egypt, then? (which was an ongoing occuptation)
Posted by Tristan Ewins, Friday, 28 October 2011 9:47:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Councils have the authority to move campers on from public spaces, but that doesn't give the police the right to act with what appeared to be abrupt brutality.
A wonderful poster held aloft in NYC asked, "Hey dude, where's my middle class?" We're lucky (again). We still have one. America might not. So in that sense, the Occupy Wall Street movement is more relevant.
But isn't it all about greed? Corporate CEO's and their obscene pay packets epitomise this, but they're not alone in claiming a disproportionate share. There is still enough to go around, especially here in Australia, but not if some get greedy.
Posted by halduell, Friday, 28 October 2011 9:48:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is where you leak credibility, Tristan Ewins.

>>When the police moved in violently against protestors in Egypt onlookers around the world were shocked. Yet here we show contempt for the liberal rights of our own citizens.<<

You ask us to compare this:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/protesters-arrested-as-chaos-descends-on-cbd-20111021-1mb07.html

...with this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/world/middleeast/26egypt.html?pagewanted=all<<

Perhaps you were seduced by Ms Hinman's assertion that the protesters were "inspired by the Arab Spring". Which is cobblers, pure and simple. Closer to reality are Spain's "los indignados"...

http://www.economist.com/node/18959259

...described as "Europe’s best-behaved protest movement".

Interestingly, according to the article, they have actually achieved some objectives - possibly because the outcomes were concrete and measurable. Here, it seems little more than lip service - more a fashion statement than a genuine complaint of hardship.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 28 October 2011 10:00:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tristan,

You ignore the crucial difference betwixt the Egyptian protesters and the Occupy protesters: the Egyptians weren't hippies. When it comes to hippies, I pretty much subscribe to the Teachings of Eric Cartman.

Which is why I think the police went about it the wrong way. It's a well known fact that hippie hate death metal. The police should have got some massive speakers, and played Slayer at ridiculous dB until the hippies disbanded of their own accord.
Posted by The Acolyte Rizla, Friday, 28 October 2011 10:02:18 AM
…What is missing in our democracy is the structured path from constituent to ruling Government, for the voice of protest to follow. Chris Lewis outlines some comment on the subject, over the page today! Until the path is cleared for this voice to be heard, dissent will remain disaffected and disjointed as it was with the current “anti- Wall Street” protest; which is really an insignificance to Australians.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 28 October 2011 10:54:07 AM
I think that the difference between the American occupy movement and the Australian protests is in the motivation. In America, they do not have the same health system benefits as we do, in America unemployment is high and growing, in Australia, unemployment is not as rife. In America corporate greed has brought on a housing crises, that in Australia we have not had. My opinion is that the real 99% of Australia is doing well, has employment and recognises the freedom's and the huge blessing it is to be Australian and living in this country.

The protesters that are protesting here are the same ones who protest everything else that isn't to their liking. This time, I agree, this protest in Australia is about rich people being rich and police enforcing safety and laws, not real social injustices.
Posted by RandomGuy, Friday, 28 October 2011 11:49:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy