The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Leadership and change in health and health services > Comments

Leadership and change in health and health services : Comments

By Stephen Leeder, published 27/10/2011

I can’t imagine any of the leaders I have known taking on a job without believing that change was important and that they were taking on the leadership mantle to change things.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
A good piece, but I wouldn't start with 'change'. To do so suggests that 'change' is what leaders are there for. I don't agree. Not everything has to change, and perhaps the most important change is quite minor, though difficult. I would start with developing a coherent picture of what the organisation is for, and moving from that to ask what stands on the way and what can be done about it. The answers have to come from the bottom, I agree, but the leader is the one who can give people the courage to say what they would like to say, and in doing so, give them the self-confidence to act in new ways.

I don't think that Steven Leeder would disagree. It's just that the essay put 'change' up a bit too early for me.
Posted by Don Aitkin, Thursday, 27 October 2011 12:56:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Health services will not change until we change the definition of health service from bureaucratic career to health service.
The medical people do a great job it's their bureaucrat hangers-on who let the country down. Same goes for the rest of the public service.
Posted by individual, Friday, 28 October 2011 6:33:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy