The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > SA Medical Defences bill returns debate to voluntary euthanasia > Comments

SA Medical Defences bill returns debate to voluntary euthanasia : Comments

By Philip Nitschke, published 10/10/2011

AMA opposition to voluntary euthanasia still evident almost two decades after the Northern Territory bill

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Quote: Well you couldn't have been paying much attention to your Google search LB as it prompts you for the correct spelling "carcinoid" and provides you 179,00 results.

How would I know that "carcinoid" was what he meant - he's a medical doctor, I'm not, & I presume he knows how to spell medical terms, or at least puts his work through an elementary spell-checker, even if only as a courtesy to readers (I just checked and even OUTLOOK picked it up).

>And I suspect that Philip's income has been limited by his stance on euthanasia rather than increased.

You suspect on what basis? Why do you express your suspicion without any accompanying evidence and begrudge me the right to my alternative one?

>Flaming an author, or anyone else, is not on, and you are pretty close to the edge. Either address the article or find one you can address

Did you not "flame me" in your first sentence? Illocutionary questions only - BYE.

PS, Nitschke is one of the most ill-mannered people I have ever had the displeasure of encountering, as I've "flamed" before in this forum without contradiction or censure.
Posted by L.B.Loveday, Monday, 10 October 2011 7:29:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is not a flame to point out when someone is acting in a way that is bound to lead to aggression and without a reasonable basis for that action and to call them to order. The typo is so basic that Google picks it up, but you ignored that and posted anyway. You should ask yourself why.

And the issue has nothing to do with the substance of the article. Getting first onto a thread and drawing attention to something the thread is not about doesn't lead to discussion it leads to disruption.

I'm not going to enter into any more public discussion with you on open forum. If you continue to flame I will take action.

Graham
Posted by GrahamY, Monday, 10 October 2011 8:26:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
L.B Loveday.Dying with dignity is an important issue.People should be allowed to choose,if death and pain is inevitible.Your issue of monetary gain for Philip,is a distraction.So why not debate the issue rather than trying to denegrate Philip Nitschke?

It is often in the interests of the medical profession to keep a rich patient alive for monetary gain.So there is a reverse side to your argument.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 10 October 2011 10:34:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I did forget to mention that the following site........ http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2007/s1914206.htm

has the Four Corners program as it was broadcast, transcript that is, but the DVD I believe can be purchased from the ABC.
How's that for providing a service. One of the things the ABC does well.

I commend it to anyone interested in this subject.

A final point is that there has been no 'moving forward' on this matter since 2007 but I would like to correct a comment made in my original mail on this subject. It seems that Bob Brown and I would therefore assume, the Greens en masse, do support euthanasia. However, I have yet to hear any hyper-bowl on the subject from Ms Gillard. But it is a difficult word to pronounce.
Posted by rexw, Tuesday, 11 October 2011 7:43:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Phillip Nitschke lacks consistency in his comments on Steph Key's bill. At the debate in Launceston a month or so ago Nitshcke told the audience that he wholeheartedly supported the Key model because it was a 'euthanasia decriminalization bill'.

Come on Phillip, you can't have it both ways. The rest of your comments are either distinctions without differences or semantics.

Intention is the key (pun not intended!). If the doctor intends to cause death - then it is euthanasia - pure and simple. No other distinction is necessary or appropriate.

What doctor's do every day is care for their patients. Killing is either not on the agenda or is a private hobby outside the confines of good medical practice. Double effect (that is in this subject: increasing medication with a view to alleviate pain but where there is a known possible side effect of hastening death) is an accepted principle that every doctor should understand. Intend pain relief and even in a hastened death the doctor is protected under law.

Key's bill covers both unintended (double effect) and intended (euthanasia) death.

BTW, the AMA has been entirely consistent. Isn't it just possible that thy're right - that they see the problem better than anyone else? That, rather than trying to rain on Phillip's parade, they're simply upholding and honouring their profession?
Posted by Pasul Russell, Tuesday, 11 October 2011 1:10:08 PM
Dickybird, I see you posted on Monday, but hope you read this.
I think your comments are spot on!

Have a look at a new State in the US who are pressing on with a
loop hole in a 1909 law. HAWAII -Dying with Dignity. They will
be next to legalise PAD in the US. Australian parliamentarians
who claim to represent the people, are not doing a very good job
with this issue.... As for Dr.Philip Nitschke, the man has Guts, Grit and Committment!
Posted by trugannini, Wednesday, 12 October 2011 9:13:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy