The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's time - for governments to actually govern > Comments

It's time - for governments to actually govern : Comments

By Betsy Fysh, published 27/9/2011

One of the main problems with free market economics is that instead of an economic system, it became a full-blown ideology, with all the false promises of utopia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Diver dan,

The government would save millions if they processed refugees arriving by boat on-shore. That money could then be redirected to supporting older Australians in need.

But they can't because they need to appease uneducated buffoons in the electorate who think these refugees are somehow going to destroy our economy or bomb us or something. (despite history proving the opposite)

The biggest problem is that governments ignore advice of the highly educated in lieu of appeasing the Murdoch press reading masses.

Skeptic, I totally agree with your sentiment. My apologies for misinterpreting your original post. I think it's a tad unfair to say that academics are immune from the worries of providing for their families though!
Posted by TrashcanMan, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 11:44:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...Well "trashcanman"; This country has a history which apparently you wish to expunge. The pity is, after spending such an effort to eradicate Chinese immigrants, we stopped. This country was great and respectful in the days of immigration from white Europeans.The pity is that stopped.

...The final pity is now, true Australians are silenced by laws restricting free speech and as a consequence, free thinking, to the point any view contrary to sucking up to any immigrant arriving from anywhere by any means now constitutes a crime, it would seem.

...I would consider your attitude to be the real "Buffoonery". Which leads on to a pointed remark by "Sceptic" who asks, where is the evidence on the floor, of graduate Australians from Australian Universities...Simple I would think, gone missing to greener fields in Europe, along with their credentials: Along also with the manufacturing jobs traditionally available to the uneducated and semi-skilled that have moved to China, while our uneducated work for the dole in lieu-of meaningful employment.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 3:36:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy