The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Some protection is essential > Comments

Some protection is essential : Comments

By John Turner, published 21/9/2011

The present national real assets situation of Australia needs to be understood and used to establish a long term view of Australia’s potential.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Oh my, we are getting snippy, aren't we.

“The fact that you think you know better than everyone else in the world put together doesn't mean you are talking anything other than bullsh1t.”
For this argument to fly, first you would have to prove the Misians were “everyone else in the world”, or even the majority (or new Bolsheviks?). If this were true, you wouldn't have to spend so much time promoting their dogma, would you?

"The essential problem with the free market is that it is reactive, not proactive."
Are you going to deny the market is reactive? I know Mises hated empirical evidence, but that's a bit much isn't it?
“How would you know one way or the other? You don't. All we know is that they considered the goods they bought more likely to satisfy their subjective wants”
There is a simple answer to that, that Mises would never condone -being a theorist and not an empiricist. We could just ask them.

“No-one has suggested that "everyone ends up with equal worth", so your entire argument is invalid. Define "equal worth". “
Actually, I think someone suggested that “free trade is mutually beneficial”.
Define “mutually beneficial”.
Posted by Grim, Saturday, 15 October 2011 7:42:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Continued:
“No it’s not. It doesn’t disadvantage us, as I have just explained. The idea that it does is the oldest fallacy in economics, namely, "if A gets richer therefore B must be getting poorer".”
Again, if we break Mises cardinal rule and actually look at the evidence of the past few decades, we see pretty much all the countries which have exported manufactured goods have gotten richer, while their customers have gotten poorer.

“...that transactions take place because of equal worth. If that was the case, no transaction would ever take place, would it?”
Are you sure you understand your own argument, Peter Hume?
An apple can be freely traded for an orange, which might be of “equal worth” (1 for 1) and be “mutually beneficial”, assuming no coercion was attempted on either side. But to assume there was no coercion would be to suggest either;
a) a perfect state of LAW (involving, Rothbard would claim, state coercion)
b) perfect equality between trading partners (no bullying).
What a wonderful world that would be.
The greatest irony is that you persist in implying that I'm forcing my views on everyone, and insisting that I'm right, and everyone else is wrong.
Perhaps you should remove the plank from thine own eye.
Posted by Grim, Saturday, 15 October 2011 7:43:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy