The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ocker Airways > Comments

Ocker Airways : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 29/8/2011

It is unlikely that abandoning Australia will reverse the fortunes of Qantas.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
"I think what I resented was the false familiarity, increasingly engaged in by some cabin staff. The egalitarian branding of service, that gradually morphed into an attitude that cabin staff were doing passengers a favour by merely doing their job."

Bravo dear author!

How very familiar that feeling you express is.

In fact, I have just written to QANTAS telling them exactly the same, and outlined a horror flight back from the UK with QANTAS used on the Singapore to Brisbane leg, inspired by that Paddy's words on the future of the airline.

My GOD, what terrible service, including putting up with a 'camp spat' amongst the cabin crew for the entire leg, watching one of them drop and break a wine glass on a breast feeding mother, and his ham-fisted attempts to brush the glass off her breast and baby!

Then there was the fight with a passenger as the burly staffer forced his way down the aisle past passengers trying to get to the lav.

My seat partners were from Scotland, visiting their family for the first time in Oz and they asked me, ever so timidly, if this circus performance was standard in Oz.

Well, 'service' is a dodgy notion but no, even Woolies school kids perform better, don't they?

I've had half a dozen flights back to the UK since that horror flight and never once with QANTAS.

But they don't care anyway. No word back from the BIG cheese.

Royal Brunei is a good choice, with no booze on board it allows escape from the worst sort of travellers, the young pissed Aussie on their way to 'world discovery' and no doubt a lifelong career with QANTAS as cabin staff later.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 29 August 2011 10:40:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have been fortunate enough to cover a great deal of the globe by air, but that was over 25 years ago. I really don't look forward to getting on any aircraft nowadays because of the number of people travelling. It was more sedate in the past and one always dressed appropriately for the occasion. There were no security problems of course and it was unlikely that one would be seated next to, or near misbehaving children, demanding drunk passengers dressed in tee shirts and thongs or so many people that think that as soon as they get on board consider themselves a cut above the cabin crew that are trying desperately to be courteous.

The way that service has deteriorated is probably in line with so many of the passengers that I have seen that think that because they have paid a cut price air-fare they should be treated in some superior way. Up front you would find a great deal of difference, but then you have to pay for it and is why people that can afford to, do
Posted by snake, Monday, 29 August 2011 11:06:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
True snake.

I did 'suffer' an upgrade with Royal Brunei once, to the first class section at the pointy end, selected because I was not wearing the Aussie dress, so the staff informed me, and what a pleasant treat it was too.

But even in the usual cattle class section where I usually travel, the Asian airlines I use do not display the cavalier attitudes of QANTAS staff.

Maybe all the really objectionable people from here prefer to go QANTAS? Suits me fine.

They certainly do not fly RB for the lack of booze anyway, thankfully.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 29 August 2011 11:24:05 AM
Sometimes the shabby service of Qantas goes back to the sixties. I was a regular passenger between Sydney and NZ in the sixties. My parents moved from Sydney to Wellington, and I used to fly over to see them.
I booked a flight back to oz, and asked if there was a bus service to the Airport. The staff at the booking agency looked at me as though I was standing stark naked, and told me that I would have to make my own way to the airport.
My ex- Sargent Major step-father, on learning my plight rang up Quantas, told them that I was a regular user of the 'brand' and generally bullied the poor unfortunate on the other end of the phone.
The result was, a car sent by Qantas to take me to the airport, free drinks to Sydney....."Ahhh thought I", this is better.". I boarded the aircraft and was given a seat in first class, getting better, thought I, until the All Blacks boarded the flight to Sydney, from then on I was ignored by cabin crews, it was more fun for them (ladies) waiting hand foot and tooth on the said All Blacks.
Even with my Aviation background, get on any plane? Na, not me.
NSB
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Monday, 29 August 2011 1:28:50 PM
The question really comes down to the numbers. Qantas comes from
the days of heavy union regulation, high wages and not too much
productivity.

The world has changed. Consumers want more for less and Qantas has
to compete in the real world.

The numbers seem to indicate that its Jetstar making the money,
Qantas exists largely for the benefit of staff and passengers.
Shareholders have lost money all the way.

If Jetstar is making the money, then it makes perfect sense to
increase those opportunities offshore and cut back on Qantas
services. As we've seen with companies such as GM and others,
some unions seem quite dogmatic enough to push a company into
bankrupcy, in order to satisfy their demands. So be it. Let
Qantas sink and let Jetstar thrive, at least in that case shareholders
will get some value for their investment
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 29 August 2011 3:07:57 PM
Good title "Ocker Airways". I was born in Australia and I know Qantas has a good safety record 'tho in recent years there have been a few blips but nothing too major.
Plain and simply, I don't fly Quantas because the cabin crew were far too casual the last time I flew with this company some years ago now. I have the impression from friends that the service hasn't improved much. I fly to England virtually every year if I can, as family live there. Yes,Qantas cabin crew were too casual, not very obliging and some of the staff were quite elderly and seemed a little unhealthy.I'm sorry; cabin crew need to be light on their feet,youngish and obliging to keep the passengers content and calm.
Posted by fairgo69, Monday, 29 August 2011 3:24:41 PM
Interesting;
I have flown Qantas to Europe many times, to the US four
times economy and I did not see or experience anything other than
pleasant responses to requests or services.
Perhaps I have been lucky, or perhaps I am not as demanding as others.
I have heard plenty of remarks from others like we have read here but--

BTW don't fly Etihard or any Arab airline, particularly on return
flights during the Harge. Not unless you pack a forensic mask.

I have flown on BA, Air India, Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, US Air,
United, Easy Jet, Virgin, and another US airline whose name I don't remember.
I did not have an experience like I see described on any of these airlines.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 29 August 2011 3:26:34 PM
Too many old battle axes are still flying well past their embittered date.

I'll take the polite and youthful foreign carriers anyday.
Posted by dane, Monday, 29 August 2011 5:59:14 PM
Perhaps what you are seeing is the early signs of the end of aviation.
As oil price rises you will see airlines dropping out, merging or going
cut price like Ryan and Easyjet and Tiger here.

What will happen to the airlines is just one symptom of the big
changes to our economies that are now becoming accepted by many even
if they are not sure of the cause.

From next January Qantas will have a carbon tax levied on the fuel it
will use from Sydney to London or any other European destination.
The tax will be levied on all international flights from their origin
to their European destination by the European CO2 taxing system.
This may be the reason that Qantas is cutting back its London service.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 29 August 2011 11:13:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy