The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australian media: any media inquiry must involve the ABC > Comments

Australian media: any media inquiry must involve the ABC : Comments

By Malcolm Colless, published 3/8/2011

An inquiry into Australian media practices, ownership and concentration by the government would have to involve their national broadcaster, the ABC.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I really, really, really, miss my *INDOVISION*

as even if the media of the world are talking about the same issue, you get in addition all of the different perspectives that the different state parties and competing media interests at this level usually exhibit.

Alas that SBS does not provide multiple voice channels and sub titles.

Here in Aust, you can go from channel to channel to see them talking about the same things over and over with the same perspective though, I do applaude the dollop of additional shows like a bit of Al-Jazeera which have appeared on "Free to Air."

Hopefully, the NBN will further open up participation in the variety of ala "Babel Fish" projects, for want of a better term, that are becoming ever increasingly prevalent and sophisticated. (such as those attached to *Search Engine* structures for example)

I note that it has now been evidenced that bi and multilingual individuals demonstrate greater executive control.

I believe that the media as a whole should be spending less time chasing after the two major parties, as the wealth of diverse talent available in Australia is not being fairly represented, which is in my view a fundamental form of bias, which also can lead to a proliferation of views not based in fact, such as those of the climate change deniers, being propagated in the media.

At the least, all members of the parliament should have a routine and regular share to express themselves to the Australian electorate.

But then, who am I trying to kid? I doubt it will happen anytime soon though as most of the current members of the major parties cannot compete with the plethora of interesting others in the community, to the extent that the encumbents know that where they to more "equitabley" share content control, that soon enough other people would be elected and they would lose their long grip on this not so equitabley shared nation of ours.
Posted by DreamOn, Thursday, 4 August 2011 2:14:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Hazza,

You now have me worried.

But I will watch the chidren's shows for another two more years to gauge the climate and report back. By then, hopefully, Gillard will have been shunted off to some lowly backbench position such as parliamentary secretary for hyperbole or elevated to a member of the Queen's opposition as Shadow Minister for house insulation.

Alternatively, living in Canberra, I will watch the Kindergarten-on- the-Hill where the delineation between left and right is much clearer when the grand building is occupied and the city is certainly a better place when it is not.
Posted by rexw, Thursday, 4 August 2011 9:54:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wouldn't go so far Rex- there is a risk that if you watch the ABC you could be brainwashed, and find yourself advocating Karl Marx, believing in Global Warming, and gravitating towards vegan cafes because eating meat and dairy is wrong, and ordering lattes (ignoring that these aren't quite vegan).

I'd just steer clear of it entirely- after all, opinion authors employed be rival networks wouldn't make up accusations against their competitors to try to make them look bad, would they?
Posted by King Hazza, Friday, 5 August 2011 9:00:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy