The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Welcome to the world of Nineteen Eighty Four: The U.K. scandal and Australia > Comments

Welcome to the world of Nineteen Eighty Four: The U.K. scandal and Australia : Comments

By Peter West, published 21/7/2011

Is an independent inquiry and an independent regulator needed in Australia?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/20/deborah-orr-murdoch-downfall
Again this link talks to me about some thing we all must confront.
It shows a better standard of investigative journalism than we have seen in this country for decades.
British press is not 70 plus percent owned by one mans ego, that may be the reason it is better.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 21 July 2011 12:57:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a pile of rubbish.

Right wing press indeed. If the oz press was right wing they would have plastered the Climate-gate scandal all over the front page for some weeks.

The fact that they didn't is the only reason that our little Julia can even try to get away with the climate tax scam.

But never mind, the chickens will come home to roost, & the radical ratbag left wing types will be able to go back to chattering over their latte.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 21 July 2011 3:48:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aesop, (620-564) BCE; “We hang the petty thieves and appoint the big ones to public office”.

Now Aesop would say “Politicians are serfs of thieves”.

Westminster, the place where people with any shred of dignity fell on their sword, in the presence of Old-Murdoch, appeared consigned; scared of the man who still could maul them.

They treated him like a wounded beast and, not sure if he would recover and bite them back, kept well clear from his paws.
Posted by skeptic, Thursday, 21 July 2011 5:11:39 PM
Hasbeen I have never doubted you have achieved much in life.
Or that you are well educated and most likely financially secure.
But mate, think with me on this, we each and every one of us, put the other sides of politics down.
Supporters or leaders we give them heaps, see only my side/me is right lives, in most of us.
You took my links, from British papers, and did the job for me, on your self!
Amused/Bemused, stunned that anyone, in the whole wide world.
Could not know, COULD claim as you did, Mate Murdock, Packer before him,Is further right than your beloved tea party.
On seeing the claim you made,on reading some others from your team,
I just must say, thanks bloke and rest my case.
Oh, in 6 months as the dust still rises from the wreckage of a once Empire of old Lefty, STOP LAUGHING BELLY Murdock's got to go ROTFL!
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 21 July 2011 5:28:32 PM
No,

Not *quite* like the world of Airstrip One.

In that world, the governing authorities owned, installed and maintained the viewscreens, and the Party members knew they were *on* all the tine.

Mobile phones have always had the capacity for reasonable encryption, to which government authorities have had acces. Here in Australia, the capacity for encryption was further nobbled when the capability was touted as a feature of GSM2 phones and police got nervous that they may have to actually investigate crimes in which the perpetrators communications were somewhat obscure.

In this world, unlike Airstrip One, we buy, maintain, and upgrade the enabling technology ourselves, nobly freeing the government from the expense.

Public-minded of us, don't you think?

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Thursday, 21 July 2011 11:18:50 PM
It is surprising to the fair-minded that the fans of the ABC and the Fairfax Press claim these two media outlets are unbiased, but then label News Limited papers as leaning to the Right.
Posted by Raycom, Friday, 22 July 2011 12:08:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy