The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tabloids' bigger crime to foster fear > Comments

Tabloids' bigger crime to foster fear : Comments

By Crispin Hull, published 18/7/2011

News deserves sanction for its phone hacking practices, but even more for its promotion of a climate of fear.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Dear Prof. Crispin Hull,

In your article of 18 July you told us of Haid’s Moral Foundation Theory.

In the article of 11Nov 2009 you told us that:” The vast bulk of Journalists honestly try to get it right, but the Media does distort”.

In this article you tell us that: “News organizations like to play on fear”.

“That human emotion is a key to News Value” and “Journalists will do a lot to get those stories, even stooping to illegality”.

Thanks for the lesson but it has not changed the reality that a journalist is one who causes mischief by reporting reality biased by his or her blinkered vision and personal motivations who cannot but play at the tune of who can pay the highest wage
Posted by skeptic, Monday, 18 July 2011 9:30:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Murdoch press constantly demonises Muslims.While I don't like the religion,there are other groups and religions who also have serious flaws.

The reasoning behind his media campaigns to slander Muslims,is to justify the invasion of Muslim oil rich countries for profit and power.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 19 July 2011 12:38:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhys Jones
Yes, but murders are few and a decrease can be just a statistical blip. Also, because of advances in medical care, people now live who would have died in the past, although that more relates to manslaughter.

But murder, while horrific for the few affected, affects the every day life of very few. The mindless graffiti and other vandalism, gratuitous abuse, "petty" theft that affect us all have spiralled in my lifetime.

We used to ride pushbikes to school, shops, the railway station, leave them untethered and when we came back they were still there - chains were for driving the back wheel. Now the police and pollies say you only have yourself to blame if it is stolen, and the railways have installed rentable metal containers to store bikes - even chains are not enough.

We got to the station by an underpass, but the government filled that in because of the increase in assaults therein. If we drive, the police warn us to take our GPS from the car so as to "not encourage" thieves - our local police seriously wrote in the paper that we should take valuables into the shops with us, or should expect to have them stolen, and walk around the carparks noting cars with valuables displayed, look up the owner and admonish them.

I and a neighbour have had our cars jacked up and the wheels stolen. I was in Sydney and a neighbour wasted her time ringing the police, who had a look then contacted me and ordered me to secure the vehicle because it could injure someone - another thief on my private property, maybe? The police told the neighbour to secure his car behind a locked gate (he'd left the gate open, as so many did with impunity years ago - and even left cars safely on the street).

Even SA Pollies have acknowledged the increase in violence in and around pubs since the smoking ban.

Does anyone seriously claim that children and their parents used to abuse and assault teachers at anything like the present rate?
Posted by L.B.Loveday, Tuesday, 19 July 2011 10:48:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8649209/News-of-the-World-phone-hacking-as-it-happened-July-19.html
We will not see press reporting like this in our country.
It has depth balance and is far better than anything I have seen in Murdock's papers.
The standards in England would be very welcome here.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 20 July 2011 6:18:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy