The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Harry Potter’s victory over Christian wowsers > Comments

Harry Potter’s victory over Christian wowsers : Comments

By Tim Kroenert, published 15/7/2011

The predictable conclusion of the Harry Potter film franchise marks the end of an era.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Otokonoko, thanks for the advice, but I'll probably leave it to watch on TV. Got to justify the thing somehow.

There is so much out there that defies belief, just as much as Harry Potter. Early in my time in the islands, I sailed into a little group of islands in the northern Solomons. I found everything, [houses boats the jetty], tied together with insulated wire. The locals showed me their store.

It was the 4 million miles of telephone cable the yanks dumped there at wars end. Next to it was a pile, 100 ft diameter by 30 ft high, at the centre, of aircraft machine guns.

On another island I was shown a cave used by one of the coast watchers to hide from the Japs. This started me consuming everything I could find in the WW11 in the islands, & particularly those coast watchers

Back then there was no TV, & often not much radio reception up there, so I needed some light relief, when I spent some weeks at an atoll.

At a garage sale in Honiara I found a complete Encyclopedia Britannica. As it was difficult keeping them all accessible on a small yacht, I kept just one out. Starting at Aalto, I worked my way progressively through to Zwingli, all 19 volumes.

I think I am probably unique in having read the Britannica front to back. It took about 18 months. If the net had been available I would never have finished, as there was so much on which I wanted to do more research.

The overpowering message I got was just how many have died pursuing one persons dream of conquest.

This is why whenever I hear anyone calling for leadership my reaction is, BL00DY IDIOT, leaders get so many killed.

That's one thing I like about Harry Potter, he only leads because he can't avoid it, not because he wants to.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 17 July 2011 12:10:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Hasbeen,
Well said, what more can I say?
Noisy
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Monday, 18 July 2011 7:15:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lessons from Harry Potter:Be friends with all kinds of people. Harry befriended the tall and the small, the kids others might call weird and even an annoying House Elf that some of us were hoping he’d leave behind after the first four minutes with him. All these friends reciprocated in more ways than just companionship. Hagrid protected Harry on numerous occasions, Dobby saved Harry’s life, Luna was instrumental in Harry discovering the penultimate Horcrux and Neville turned out to be one heck of a loyal warrior. Maybe it’s not so literal in reality, but friends can save your life. Choose wisely but don’t be stingy extending your friendship.
mobile phone jammer http://www.espow.com/jammers/security-surveillance-jammer.html
Posted by mobile phone jammer, Thursday, 28 July 2011 4:48:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy