The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is domestic violence a gender hate crime, and why does it matter? > Comments

Is domestic violence a gender hate crime, and why does it matter? : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 5/7/2011

Guidelines issues by the Gillard government make it impossible for women to commit domestic violence - by definition.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. All
The emotional terrorist by Erin Pizzey.
http://www.ejfi.org/DV/dv-10.htm

<In a recent case, a Mr. Roberts described to me how, during his marriage, he and his children faced a daily onslaught of verbal abuse from his wife. Mrs. Roberts was also physically violent to the children. Now that he has asked for a divorce, she is making use of every weapon in her arsenal. In the children's presence, she has used drugs and drunk alcohol to the point of extreme intoxication. She has staged several unsuccessful suicide attempts in front of the children, threatened over the telephone to "do something stupid," promised to kill Mr. Roberts new partner, and assured Mr. Roberts that when she has finished with him he will not have a penny to his name. To Mr. Roberts, all of this behavior seemed perfectly usual.

After all, he had witnessed this sort of commotion for thirteen years of their marriage. When I suggested to him, "What you endured is emotional terrorism," he suddenly and for the first time was able to see his situation clearly.>

I think the important thing is that this man was not aware of how inappropriate her behaviour was.

Both Suziy and Pelican and others object to what they see as exaggeration.

Yet over the last 30 - 40 years feminists themselves have made many exaggerated claims and false claims about DV.

It is fair to object to exaggerations and false hoods, as long as that is applied evenly and honestly across the board.

Erin Pizzey;

<We have had thousands of international studies about male violence but there is very little about why or how women are violent. There seems to be a blanket of silence over the huge figures of violence expressed by women. Because family terrorism is a tactic largely used by women and my work in the domestic violence field is largely with women, I address this problem discussing only my work with women.>
Posted by JamesH, Friday, 15 July 2011 8:32:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antiseptic <"I think the real problem that the women here have is that they simply don't know any working class people. Do yourself a favour and go for a meal at a pub in a working class suburb tonight. Stay at the bar for a while: you'll see lots of examples of women giving as good as they get and usually better, since the men know they aren't allowed to "win"."

Oh come on! I think you are aware that most of the female posters on this thread are hardly delicate, naive flowers.

I for one have spent most of my adult working life looking after 'working class people' in hospitals and in their homes.

I would suggest I am more aware of their problems than you are.
I am certainly more aware of the what and to whom the most injuries occur!

In any case, it is a well known fact that domestic violence, as opposed to pub violence, is perpetrated by people from all areas of society.

I will say again, I am well aware of female violence against family members in their homes, but I am also aware that men commit the most physical violence against others in our society.

That is not a denigration of all men, it is just a fact.
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 15 July 2011 10:08:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suze, you really should get out and about more. Sick people do not usually provide the best examples of normal behavioural modes, especially after you've dosed them up with tranquilisers. Nor are the responses of elderly patients that of the typical perpetrator or victim of DV.

They're also rarely drunk and I'd have to say it's unlikely that they'd have a domestic with a nurse present.

On the whole, I'd say you've only confirmed my view that your own opinion is informed more by a latte-set feminism than by any knowledge of the subject, just as the Brown report was informed by the bias of the "researchers" instead of the data.

Back on the topic, I'd have to say this reponse by ChazP seems to indicate that for her at least, it's all about gender-hatred.

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=12255#212989
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 15 July 2011 1:16:58 PM
I discovered earlier that I'd been accepting pie charts showing percentages a bit too readily.

ChazP had posted a claim onto the Family Law thread about a woman being killed each week by a male partner. No mention of course of the number of men killed by female partners.

It turns out that "in 2006/2007 243 men were the victims of homicides and 55 women. 10% of the men were killed by intimate partners and 53% of the women were killed by intimate parters.

That as far as I can tell means around 24 to 25 men and 29 to 30 women were killed by intimate partners. "

The references are at
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=12255#213058

A bit more than half the figure claimed by ChazP for women being killed by male intimate partners and the numbers of men killed by intimate partners not that much lower.

I wonder if those figures include contract killing's. Not something that was clear from the data. A different study by the AIC found "There appears to be little difference in terms of the gender of the targets involved with both males and females targeted equally (16 males; 15 females)." http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/2/2/A/%7B22A7C133-9F68-4F0D-852A-AD512115D9E6%7DRPP53.pdf so again probably litte impact on the balance.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 15 July 2011 5:41:14 PM
Robert,

Why am I not surprised? By these exaggerated claims.
Posted by JamesH, Friday, 15 July 2011 6:03:12 PM
James if you have the time can you check the sources and maths for me please in case I've made a mistake.

I think I've got it all correct but am not at my best today and the outcome is far enough from what I'd expected that having it checked would be worthwhile. I'd thought the figure was more like 2 to 1 rather than close to even.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 15 July 2011 6:16:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. All