The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Equality for women? Don’t make me laugh > Comments

Equality for women? Don’t make me laugh : Comments

By Lin Hatfield Dodds, published 28/6/2011

Unless and until we acknowledge the inherent dignity of each person by a practical and persistent commitment to rights-based policy and practice we will never close the gaps.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Nice article, do agree life on welfare is emphatically NOT a lifestyle choice.

Disappointed she fails to mention the unreasonably high and destructive %tax rate - sorry centrelink income %reduction rate, as applied to earnings of people with centrelink their primary income.

Fail to understand why Uniting Church remains silent, not critical towards several large corporate landowners which either receive or are direct beneficiaries from the public monies allocated to contruct and provide housing upon their lands.

Such buildings belong to the landowners, except where leases provided.

Land titles firmly retained by these corporate entities.

These corporate landowners are NOT held accountable for ongoing refusals to issue valid leases to their tenants.

NOT held accountable for dismal condition of this housing, when constructed to normal standards and funded with public funds...

NOT held accountable for refusing their tenants otherwise held basic rights to have family, friends, tradespeople - even religious activists, visit - or reside with them, at times of their choosing.

Still experience difficulty understanding why Uniting Church continues to remain silent thus supports separation - segregation, of Australian families using racial testing, such as when tenants on such properties mentioned above, as experienced by our family...

Perhaps we forget all this must be acceptable as it is being done to help us... ?

We have our own Talibab, our own Muammar Muhammad al-Gaddafi's, our own control freaks...
Posted by polpak, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 8:55:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's always someone elses fualt isn't it.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 10:53:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A good article, from an author who is obviously qualified to know how life really is for low income people.

One aspect is missing though. While demanding that all people need safe, proper housing, she ignores the fact that quite a few welfare recipients regularly wreck the housing allocated to them.
What do we do with these people?

I agree that equality for women has a long way to go yet. Industries dominated by women, such as domestic workers and aged-care workers, are traditionally low paid. They need to be better paid, in order to drag themselves and their families out of poverty.

There are few men in these industries. Why is that? Because they are poorly paid for the dirty work involved. These usually poorly educated women have no choice but to take the only jobs left for them.
Their other 'choice' is to go onto welfare payments, and make even less money.
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 1:25:50 PM
Suzeonline

Worked in an administrative position in an Aged Care Home for a while. My pay was good, but the care workers and nurses were paid a pittance and most needed 2 jobs to make ends meet. One of the workers was male and excellent, but most don't like the pay, which is understandable.

I console myself with the image of ageing CEO's dependent upon the ministrations of care workers - hope they spit in the greedy old fools' mash. Imagine the Abbotts, Elliots, Murdochs, Reiths (hoping the wife of a waterside worker cares for him) etc, yeah, I know they'll probably employ well private well-paid nursing staff, but I like to dream.

Thing is, better pay benefits both sexes - most of us, men and women do most of the hard yakka. In the mining sector, men get good wages, but the support workers selling food, clothing, working the cash registers are paid low pay in areas where landlords have hiked up the rents.

Fair pay and equality of opportunity is not a women's only issue.

But you'd never guess would you?
Posted by Ammonite, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 1:55:05 PM
Ammonite <"Fair pay and equality of opportunity is not a women's only issue."
Very true Ammonite. Low pay for women affects the whole family- especially the children, boys and girls.

Many of these women are married or have defacto relationships.
Instead of allowing this pay inequality issue go on, you would think that all their menfolk would also stand up and fight for their woman's rights as well? After all, it would mean more money for the whole family.

I laugh (cry?) with the author when she states that there is widespread belief in the community that women have now achieved equality...yeah right!
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 2:15:10 PM
"women finding themselves and their children"

At the end of it all, the article is yet another one of those "women and THEIR children" articles.

If a woman wants to successfully raise children, she gets married and stays married.

Chances are, both she and the children will be better off.

This is backed up by very solid statistics, that rarely get mentioned in our feminist society..
Posted by vanna, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 5:34:22 PM
vanna,

Are you blind?
Posted by skeptic, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 8:03:30 PM
Thank you, Lin
One of the things I've found odd as my daughters moved through young adulthood, is the detachment many young women have with the past. These are women who appear to find appeal to women as a cohesive political force that can continue to work for equality, 'creepy'. I (now 48 years of age) find this attitude 'creepy'. These are women who have only a measure of 'equality' that rests on shifting sand. It might disappear very quickly. There appear to be cohorts of women who don't understand that they vote, own their wages and other property, inherit and work in respected fields, not to mention have a credit card, because of the action taken by women earlier in the twentieth century.

ruth
Posted by ruthie2011, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 8:28:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Vanna, women surely have a right for equality in wages etc, even if they are married or not?
This article is about gender equality, not about the 'sins' of women who dare to remain unmarried!
Posted by suzeonline, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 12:49:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy