The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Confronting Australian attitudes to refugees. > Comments

Confronting Australian attitudes to refugees. : Comments

By Jo Coghlan, published 22/6/2011

The SBS social experiment: Go back to where you came from?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 22
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. Page 25
  10. 26
  11. All
JOM, I wasted time listening to your podcast http://www.thebyteshow.com/Audio/OlafHage/OlafHage_GobekliTepe_11June2011_TBS.mp3.

The guy is mad. I gave up when I got to his proof that the flood happened because people suddenly started building settlements with mud bricks because that was the most abundant building material around!

I think you've gone on with this stuff long enough. It has got to the point where an article with a sensible point has become hijacked by ratbaggery.
Posted by GrahamY, Thursday, 30 June 2011 9:27:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham.
Fair enough, It's not for everyone, Christians often lose me as well but it's fairly uncharitable to call Olaf Hage "mad".
Suggesting that assimilation should be promoted to lower Cancer rates or that White people are mixed race "Racists" are also ratbag ideas....nevertheless.
Back to topic.
Given that the whole premise of "Go back to where you came from" is a play on White Australians self consciousness surrounding issues of race, I wonder if someone could illuminate that mindset for me.

Another poster previously made a point about entrepreneurship and the economic benefit of Refugees.
White countries are never short of either money or talent, why not send refugees to Malawi or El Salvador, two of the poorest countries in the world?
I'm not saying dump them there where they'd be a burden, give them some seed capital and mentoring by locals and U.N personnel until they get on their feet.

It's costing fantastic amounts of money to detain refugees, money which goes to a malevolent Globalist entity, SERCO.
Why not put that money toward, say flood mitigation and levee building in Bangladesh or come up with a plan to rescue Kiribati, then insist that these governments absorb some of the worlds displaced, yet economically valuable persons as workers.
Given that the White Liberal Egalitarian crowd are intent on waging a World War of annihilation on all fronts against those of us who don't share their views shouldn't people like Jo Coghlan be spending their valuable time on real projects which would benefit millions instead of selfish, micro solutions which only benefit themselves.
Face it, this issue is only going to get worse as the Liberal Armies start rolling into the Middle East and North Africa, as it is the bulk of refugees are coming from the other great Liberal wars, Iraq, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka.
Of course I won't even go into the question of why War prevention and Anti militarism aren't the main memes in popular culture as opposed to refugees and "gay" marriage, that'd probably be too much for the Liberal "Humanitarian bombers" to bear.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 1 July 2011 6:45:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jay, You do have some valid points. Let's look at it from the refugees point of view. They're trying to escape war, hunger, catastrophe, and offering them an alternative which in our opinion may seem sensible, practical, from the refugee's point of view they would be placed in an environment no different from their present situation or the prospect of a future repeating that situation. It is only natural that people want an environment for themselves and their families that has no threat of war, and a better and safer lifestyle.
If we take any nation in Africa that might have prospects today there is no guarantee of avoiding a major catastrophe or invasion from the neighbours tomorrow. People just don't want to take that chance and it would not be fair of us to force them.
Posted by Aquarius, Friday, 1 July 2011 2:21:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OMG Aquarius!
That's like saying, "Race is real and it matters", my initial point.
Your post not only brings up the question of where one stands but also in whose name one stands.
Altruists are pretty rare generally, finding one who stands totally in the name of the "other' is incredibly rare.
Who stands exclusively in the name of my Race?
Who has the same heroic attitude to both White and non White people.
I'd like to think that in the absence (or at least lack of visibility) of such figures in our community there might be someone, from say Iran or perhaps Japan who'd take up our case.
Iranians and Japanese are still capable of compassion for others coupled with deathless fidelity to their own, a mix sadly lacking in our self appointed "conscience elite" composed, as we know of callous dilettantes and blasé intellectuals.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 1 July 2011 4:35:06 PM
Don't worry ammonite,

Dan *may* have read more genetics than you, but far less than anybody with a genuine interest.

On top of that, he is known to make false assertions about the veracity of his position, *after* other poeple have checked and found him to be incorrect. Even on so trivial a topic as checking a word in the dictionary.

So, even if he disagrees with you, you can assume him wrong.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Thursday, 14 July 2011 3:20:40 PM
Rusty

Um Thanks.

I had forgotten what I'd written, I didn't realise that because I used links to Wiki, Dan S would consider himself better read than I - I always look for the Wiki links that are supported by their own research references - you'd think Dan being so widely read would understand citations. I only have a degree in Environmental Science, which must mean that someone who reads the bible and believes the earth was created in 6 days knows heaps more about genetics, than l'il ole science loving me.
Posted by Ammonite, Thursday, 14 July 2011 3:35:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 22
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. Page 25
  10. 26
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy