The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sideshow: The Dumbing Down of Democracy > Comments

Sideshow: The Dumbing Down of Democracy : Comments

By Peter West, published 10/6/2011

Lindsay Tanner’s new book 'Sideshow: Dumbing Down Democracy' has a lot to say about how the media are dumbing down public life in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Otokonoko,
There have been other articles on that website that were objectionable, and I understand complaints have been made directly to the universities involved.

I have noticed that when some of the articles were objectionable, the editors moved the article to the top of the list for that category. This has now happened with the brain in the abdomen article, and others as well.

The editors are hoping for an increase in website hits I suppose, similar to a TV show hoping for an increase in ratings.

However it means that wanting an increase in website hits, or wanting an increase in audience ratings, is believed to be more important than presenting reliable information.

I now mostly look at websites such as SciDev and Science Daily for science news.
Posted by vanna, Saturday, 11 June 2011 1:21:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey! I know what you mean, Peter.

I was once an ABC junkie but I simply refuse to watch the damn ABC anymore. Every damned time I turned it on, there was nothing but endless stories about Cornelia Rau, David Hicks, Mamdouth Habib, boatpeople, refugee advocates, Bob Brown, greenies painting the Opera House, the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and the gantries at Newcastle BHP.

Jesus, give it a rest.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 13 June 2011 8:23:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lego in your case I don't think you have cause to be concerned about the dumbing down of democracy you have already chosen to dumb down what you read and watch. I hope you find your new fare infinitely more enjoyable.
Posted by Ulis, Tuesday, 14 June 2011 1:19:52 AM
It is, Ulis, it is.

Janet Albrechson, Piers Ackerman, Henry Bolt, and Keith Windshuttle.
Posted by LEGO, Tuesday, 14 June 2011 7:09:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy