The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > South Australia’s socially regressive sex trade laws need reform > Comments

South Australia’s socially regressive sex trade laws need reform : Comments

By Chris Duluk, published 8/6/2011

The issues that South Australian MPs must consider in legislative reform of prostitution are not only those of workplace safety and rights, but also of morality and justice.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Yes I tend to agree with Robert. Many of the women who work as prostitutes do so out of choice - for the money. Many of the men who use prostitutes are happy to pay them for their 'service'.

As long as there are strong laws against forcing women to work as prostitutes against their will, or blackmailing them to work as prostitutes to avoid violence etc, then I think a prostitute should be able to work legally, with strict medical checks of course.

There will always be men willing to pay for their services, and there will always be women willing to sell their bodies for money.

I really don't see any gender discrimination issues in this article, and it is ridiculous to blame University lecturers for any of this sex-trade situation Vanna!

Vanna <"The article is an exercise in gender discrimination and bigotry, but it again highlights the inability, or lack of interest, by the universities in this country to educate students (and often staff) to not carry out discrimination."

Are you for real Vanna? I imagine gender discrimination and bigotry is just as rife in the wider community as it is amongst University staff and students?

Certainly it is very evident in some contributors to OLO, who I am sure never set foot in a University.
Posted by suzeonline, Wednesday, 8 June 2011 9:44:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suzanonline,
If someone was raised in a bigoted, discriminatory and feminist society, they would probably not find a problem with a statement that men treat women “as sexual objects who can be purchased, consumed and disposed of”

The author did not say that a very tiny % of men treat women this way. The author has implied that ALL men treat women this way.

Using the same logic, if a university academic were to kill someone, then it could be said that university academics are murderers.

However university academics would probably regard that as bigotry and discrimination, but I personally do not know of any so-called university in this country that does not fully and completely accept bigotry and discrimination.

As long as that bigotry and discrimination is carried out by staff or by students towards the male gender, then it will be 110% accepted by the so-called university.
Posted by vanna, Thursday, 9 June 2011 5:18:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Vanka, your problems with University lecturers rule your life here on OLO.
I think I will leave the subject alone from now on....
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 10 June 2011 12:19:01 AM
Suzanonline
Unfortunately, I am not willing to accept any denigrating, vilifying remark that someone wants to make about the male gender.

Unfortunately, the majority of such remarks are coming from staff employed in universities, and now from their students (probably copying university staff).
Posted by vanna, Friday, 10 June 2011 6:50:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy