The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time for a new focus on food > Comments

Time for a new focus on food : Comments

By Julian Cribb, published 2/6/2011

Food scarcity is creeping up on Australia unnoticed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dear Clownfish
Paul Erhlich wrong? Yes on timing - I fear he will be proved right in the end. Let's hope not but we'll have to pull out all stops to avert widespread hunger this time.
Posted by popnperish, Friday, 3 June 2011 9:04:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Julian is spot on. it is time to put the old industrial form of agriculture to bed and seek a renewal. It has had 60 years of life and whilst it has served us well in many respects its downsides are becoming so significant that a new form of agriculture (and by extrapolation) a new form of education is needed. Julian posits the need for renewal, reeducate, retrain, rehydrate etc and whilst i agree I think there is one re I would like to see less of and that is reductionism. May the new form of agriculture and agricultural education be based around holism which embraces the subjective and the objective frames of reference. Julian and others might like to look at this website which demonstrates that this form of education has emerged:http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/ecological_agriculture/course-overview
Posted by ecoagoz, Friday, 3 June 2011 2:30:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
popnperish, read Dan Gardner's excellent 'Future babble', and realise that you just trotted out one of the classic obfuscations of the wrong prediction-addicts. Congratulations, you're now in the same league as Harold Camping and his followers.

No, Paul Ehrlich was not wrong on timing, he was just wrong.

'Well, it's not quite the conflagration I'd been banking on. Never mind, lads, same time tomorrow… we must get a winner one day' - Peter Cooke.
Posted by Clownfish, Friday, 3 June 2011 3:28:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clownfish.
Let's hope you're right - don't mind being proved wrong but I suspect Ehrlich will be vindicated before long. Another Green Revolution anyone?
Posted by popnperish, Friday, 3 June 2011 5:09:51 PM
Excellent article.

Hear hear!
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 3 June 2011 5:15:22 PM
Gloom springs eternal for the neo-Malthusians.
Posted by Clownfish, Friday, 3 June 2011 6:33:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy