The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don’t listen to shock jocks on carbon > Comments

Don’t listen to shock jocks on carbon : Comments

By Bob Carter, published 1/6/2011

Climate change is like motherhood: of course it’s real, and whoever would doubt it?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All
Can we expand the topic by saying "don't listen to the shock jocks on anything"

But specifically on this subject, seeing Media Watch on Monday was something of an eye-opener. There was Alan Jones, the loudmouth of the airwaves again pontificating on a subject, climate change, about which he has been proven to know nothing while at the same time trying to show a Professor how smart an intelligent he was. Well, he failed, miserably as was expected which he does on most subjects that require a level of intelligence far in excess of the poor man's capabilities.

He just doesn't know when to shut up. Egomania is like that.

With his history one has to assume that someone, somewhere is paying him to pontificate on this subject. He is for sale for anything at any time and if it also doesn't require him to use whatever grey matter he has, limited I would think, he may remain a star in his own studio.

Why do we give such attention to the likes of Jones. He wouldn't know 'carbon' from clay.
Posted by rexw, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 11:47:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Bob, great to read a sensible article .

We had best put a large chalk mark on the wall, that's 2 academics that have bucked the trend this week.

Come on the rest of you, grow a backbone. Your kids are going to have to live in the world we are creating, & with the present level of rubbish, it's going to be a tough one for us, when China rules. They aren't known for their generosity to each other, let alone to others.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 11:47:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I love to hear a healthy debate on carbon tax but at the moment all we seem to be getting is the negative side of things. When there's mention of the mighty "dollar" all schemes seem to fall apart. Ultimately we will need to find ways to reduce carbon emission and the big pollution emitters will have to correct their ways and spend some of their profits to do so. We the consumer will pay for it anyway, as we usually do when they pass on their costs to us. And again money is drawn into the conversation.
As for carbon dioxide emissions - doesn't life work on a delicate balance? Too much of one and not enough of another! I think some people get so wrapped up in the technical and monetary side of things they tend to lose sight of what we need to achieve.
I am so fed up with negitivity overpowering debates. How often do we see politicians say about the other party - "Hey that's a good idea, and this is the way we would like to achieve that." But no no it's always "Bag that idea it's dumb, wont work." With no effectual solution to offer.
So don't give me that "carbon tax" wont work. Give me a solution.
Posted by Ely, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 11:55:45 AM
Fine words from the warmertariat. Just to demonstrate how right you are, why don’t you get a panel of your favorite scientists, throw in the entire Climate Change Committee along with Greg, Penny and Juliar and have a public debate?

I’ll nominate just one to take them on, Bob Carter. You know what? He would accept in a flash, the others would not.

Would the warmertariat support this and if not, would they care to explain why not?
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 11:57:36 AM
Thanks for the helpful prompt Mark, and for at least trying to fill in what Bob Carter left out, i.e. addressing the starting point for scientific scepticism that I mentioned. That was my point – Bob didn’t bother.

But I’m not sure, apart from your concern that I’ve been around too long, why you address me about actual warming, feedback uncertainties and time for doubling of carbon dioxide, because I don’t mention them. I like to think that I am a good enough physical chemist to leave those important models and calculations to the climate scientists. However, I am certainly aware that feedbacks and their uncertainties are really important in this whole business because the real climate scientists talk about them and are duly cautious in their projections. I wish I could say the same about the amateurs.
Posted by Tombee, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 12:20:39 PM
The alarmists really hate it when a scientist gives a rational explanation of why it is not manmade CO2 causing the warming trends.

What really gets my goat is those blaming manmade CO2 are quick to point out the increase in atmospheric CO2 over the past year while completely ignoring the contribution from the massive volcanos that went off over the past 12 months.

Any reduction Australia makes is a total joke especially when the USA, India, China and Russia come out and say they aren't making any changes in the near future. Australia has not created the supposed problem and its not our responsibility to fix the world.

Finally, who in their right mind would trust this Government to actually spend the money they collect from a carbon tax wisely.
Posted by sbr108, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 1:02:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy