The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > More to climate policy than the carbon price > Comments

More to climate policy than the carbon price : Comments

By Leigh Ewbank, published 12/5/2011

There is more to climate policy than the price of carbon.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Gee, let me think...
Grim,
Why think, the Government doesn't see any need for it ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 14 May 2011 1:20:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No response to my question, Agnostic? Are you yielding?
Posted by Herbert Stencil, Saturday, 14 May 2011 8:26:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh Ewbank, says ", Unfortunately few have called for carbon tax revenue to be used for climate friendly infrastructure in Australia."

I Sent a submission tax inquiry a few infrastructure proposals:-

1. To Make better use of the existing Australian car fleet by the provision more CNG infrastructure to encourage its use as transitional fuel for road vehicles and encourage the use of electric cars: gas /electric, petrol/electric and diesel/electric hybrid cars.

2. Tax incentives for employers to provide electric car, electric scooter and electric bicycle recharging facilities and provide roof top; wind energy or solar energy collectors for heating,cooling lighting powering computers and other tools.

3. Carbon taxes raised to be used to build bikeway networks in all Australian cities, enhance rail infrastructure, extend rail services and express bus services into all outer urban areas: provide secure bicycle parking at all modal interchanges and railway stations: also rural stations used by commuters into the capital cities.

4. Encourage Encourage state planning agencies to constrain developers to reduce urban sprawl and provide public transport services in new residential and industrial areas and make urban areas more permeable with direct routes for walkers and cyclists.

5. Provide short cuts for pedestrians and cyclists, in existing built up areas: more light bridges, routes through both public and private properties, bridges over barriers, safe mid block main road crossings.

6. Policy support for the states to change the constitution of road planning agencies to make it their responsibility to reduce the;demand for road space, unsustainable travel, road congestion and thecreation of a continuous arterial bike network within the overall
hierarchy of urban roads.

7. Provide bike lanes on main roads and reduce their speed limits to 50 kph .
When there is not room for a bikelane or bike path in the road reservea safe alternative route would be provided on residential streets witha 30 km per hour speed limit as in the Netherlands.
Posted by PEST, Sunday, 15 May 2011 6:14:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Herbert Stencil

Sorry I have not replied sooner. However I do not monitor OLO comments in case pseudo skeptics have a question.

The coal industry receives subsidies in the form of tax concessions and excise rebates, levying of token charges and other assistance totaling over $2 billion a year.

For more information on the nature and magnitude of these subsidies, try http://www.isf.uts.edu.au/publications/CR_2003_paper.pdf

More information on subsidy support for the coal industry, is available by using Google. Lots of data available there and I am sure you will be able to find it if you are genuinely interested - which some people might doubt. The message: You want info? Do your own research.
Posted by Agnostic of Mittagong, Monday, 16 May 2011 10:47:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy