The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Equity in schools – let's not forget the quality > Comments

Equity in schools – let's not forget the quality : Comments

By Scott Prasser, published 6/5/2011

Overcoming social disadvantage through education is more effective when government provides per capital funding to schools.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Otokonoko,

try the northeasternmost inhabited place in Australia.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 7 May 2011 8:36:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner,
you summed it up perfectly. Sadly, it's not only education.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 7 May 2011 8:39:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I challedge the Catholic schools to change their focus of making money to providing a service to Australia. Close your schools in the leafy suburbs and open new ones in the trouble area's. take on all the disadvantaged kids from disfunctional familys. Do that and I would be interested in supporting you through my tax dollars. I am not however interested in helping you make money to send to Rome.
Posted by cornonacob, Saturday, 7 May 2011 1:08:35 PM
cornonacob

the problem would be that the kids would have to behave or get the boot. The secular school allows all behaviours and even encourages it by having no discipline of any use. The reason we have so many kids from dysfunctional families ( I am surprised you admit their is as such) is because of the dogmas and lack of morals taught through secular dogma. Maybe if boys and girls were taught a little about faithfulness instead of how to put a condom on their would be a lot less dysfunction. Now that should raise a few eyebrows.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 7 May 2011 2:32:02 PM
Now that should raise a few eyebrows.
Runner,
Only those 50 % who don't understand plus the few supporting the independents.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 7 May 2011 4:21:19 PM
Thanks individual. I'll do some research there!

cornonacob, you need to draw a distinction between those Catholic schools that are fully independent (generally run by religious orders) and those systemic Catholic schools that tend to appear in poor suburbs as often as rich ones. Consider St Michael's School, Palm Island and St Francis' College, Marsden - neither of which is in a wealthy area and neither of which is likely to produce considerable income. In fact, both do what you ask of Catholic schools - they are in troubled areas, they take disadvantaged kids from dysfunctional families. Your broad generalisations suggest that you don't actually know much about Catholic schools, but are quick to knock them. As I said before, their mission was [and still is] to provide an alternative to state education to [primarily Catholic] families who can't necessarily afford expensive private schools.

Flash schools like Terrace and Nudgee (sorry - I don't know too many schools from outside QLD off the top of my head) operate outside the Cath Ed system, despite their affiliation with the Catholic Church.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 7 May 2011 9:11:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy