The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > SRI opponents denying kids their cultural heritage > Comments

SRI opponents denying kids their cultural heritage : Comments

By Rob Ward, published 4/5/2011

Not content with their choice to remove their kids from SRI, militant atheists seem hell-bent on ensuring everyone else’s kids are blocked from exposure to Christianity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 60
  10. 61
  11. 62
  12. All
Chrys Stevenson suggests considering “whether you would prefer your teenager to receive sex education or sex instruction at school”.

Neither thanks; the “sex education” so many children, and not just teenagers, receive, is, IMO, far more of a concern than any SRE or SRI.
Posted by L.B.Loveday, Wednesday, 4 May 2011 9:37:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have seen the argument repeatedly that Christians are, or training children to be, "unthinking". Now I certainly recognise that some Christians are not of a high IQ, but let us just pause for a second and recognise the range of undeniably intelligent Christians in our country:

Glenn Stevens - Governor of the reserve bank
Kevin Rudd - Foreign Minister
Simon McKeon - Australian of the Year
Tim Costello - World Vision CEO

Let us have this debate for sure, but to deny all Christians as unthinking and therefore teaching Scripture as something that will make children unthinking is simply not helpful. I must say that I think some of the aggression on this forum is certainly proving some of Rob's concerns. Militant may be a bit strong, but there is clearly a very hostile reaction.
Posted by Nick_, Wednesday, 4 May 2011 9:42:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some athiest parents fear that their own godless lives will be exposed if children are taught the truth. They are happy for the fairytale evolution story to be told along with gw hysteria but are panicked by the thought that their children might learn some values that they themselves have rejected. Thankfully the Christian schools continue to fill up as the fruits of godless education and immorality is rejected by many.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 4 May 2011 9:46:22 AM
Nick
You don't see any aggression on the part of anti-secularists?

What is militant about banning religious instruction in public schools? It is a militant stance that insists on RI in schools.

I would bet most Christians be concerned should an Imam offer to provide Chaplaincy services or RI in their school.

It is not about denying choice just don't use the school system as a marketing tool. I don't think that POV is a militant one but a very fair and reasonable one.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 4 May 2011 9:48:02 AM
Ponde: You said, “Teaching children about talking snakes and pregnant virgins has no place in the modern school curriculum.”

I don’t attend church but your ignorance and arrogance is laughable. Even the atheist Christopher Hitchens acknowledges the beauty of the Bible and reminds illiterates that they can’t read Shakespeare without it.

So does the atheist intellectual Camille Paglia.

In truth, the Bible is full of literal and poetic references. There are genealogies and parables (life lessons). But like it or not they have inspired generations of scientists and artists (information you’d love to censor, my guess).
Posted by BPT, Wednesday, 4 May 2011 9:58:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Pelican,

I do certainly see some agression on the part of "anti-secularists", but that does not make it right either way.

I specifically avoided the term "militant", but no I don't believe it is militant to offer voluntary courses in schools.

I myself do have a Christian faith, and would have no problem if a school decided an Imam was chaplain or offering classes on the Quran. In fact I would prefer it to a school that avoids value and worldview discussions altogether.

In terms of this as "marketing" I might agree if they were putting billboards around the school, but presenting a viewpoint in a discussion setting I think is quite different from "marketing".

Thank you for responding though, and I do think your arguments are fair and reasonable, and worth discussing.
Posted by Nick_, Wednesday, 4 May 2011 9:58:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 60
  10. 61
  11. 62
  12. All