The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are carbon taxes (another) Australian 'magic pudding' policy? > Comments

Are carbon taxes (another) Australian 'magic pudding' policy? : Comments

By Geoff Carmody, published 13/4/2011

Once you've paid the ATO to collect the tax there's not enough left to compensate everyone, and that's just the beginning.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Geoff, the following is from previous posts. You are not moving forward at all! Just relentlessly banging on.

“Dear Mr. Carmody, there were so many issues raised with you from your last article and so many questions asked. In reading this article it appears that you have failed to even acknowledge the commentary we provided on OLO, let alone answer any key questions.

You were challenged to demonstrate the business/economic principles behind your conclusions. It was also pointed out that without these you have adopted advocacy over economics.

Why might I ask do you solicit comment on OLO then totally ignore our contributions?
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 3 August 2010 12:35:06 PM”
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 11:43:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spindoc
sadly I don't recall your no doubt valuable contribution from Geoff's last article so perhaps you'd like to point to one issue in this article which your confronting..

The article would seem to be straight forward. What is your problem with it?
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 1:19:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not sure you have this right Geoff, Greg Combet just got through telling everyone at the Press Club in Canberra, that not only would the Carbon Tax be wonderful for the environment, but millions of Australians will be actually financially better off!

Now isn't that good enough for you to get off this negative bandwagon, stop the questioning and get behind this?

You might be one of the lucky ones. (you might too, but the government is not going to reveal who is and isn't going to benefit for as long as possible, so the debate changes from the folly of trying to change the climate, to who gets what .. greedy human nature, and the ALP, who would think they could be so cunning .. oh)

/sarcasm ..

I have never seen such blatant manipulation and spin in my life as this Carbon Tax campaign is dishing up.

Mind you, after this is all over and we throw the lying tricky idiots out, we'll have a golden period where no one will vote for the ALP for a very long time.

They really do think the average joe blow Australian is a fool, i guess after voting them in in all the states for years you have to admit they have a right to think that, but this is just getting beyond the pale.

Next we'll have massive street marches from the "demanders", wanting more tax so they will be even better off (there's something wrong with that isn't there?)
Posted by Amicus, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 2:11:13 PM
Curmudgeon,

<< sadly I don't recall your no doubt valuable contribution from Geoff's last article so perhaps you'd like to point to one issue in this article which your confronting>>

You don’t need to be sad, or recall it, or place value on it as I just copied it out, there was no reference to “me”, there was reference to unanswered questions from OLO’ers.

The point is that if Geoff Carmody has, as an economist, promoted an economic position, it would be nice if he shared the basis for his conclusions. If the answer is a CO2 Tax, what were the questions and the assumptions?

That Geoff’s article “would seem to be straight forward. What is your problem with it?”

It might seem straight forward to you and those who wish to endlessly debate the “answer”. Some might wish to ask if one of Geoff’s assumptions is CAGW, and we have. Therefore no, it is not straight forward.

Let’s start with the following, and yes please feel free to join in.

“The first step towards successful policies for lowering carbon emissions is to accept that prosperity will suffer." Geoff Carmody.

Question; Why?
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 2:20:37 PM
Spindoc - oh, okay, my apologies, I may not have grasped your point .. you're saying why should we bother to do all this in the first place?. I thoroughly agree.. although I think Geoff is starting from the point of if we really want to reduce emissions then... but never mind..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 4:56:10 PM
OUR BOVINE EMISSIONS TRADING SCHEMERS

Thank you, Peter Hume.

The whole thing is indeed "fully 13 layers deep" in non-aromatic bovine emissions.

Members of the Canberra Carbon Cargo Cult Club (CCCCC) should note
13 also the number of circles in Dante's Lower Hell.

Select a circle here, folks, for your post-carbon (dioxide) tax, post-election vacation: there's one for flatterers and seducers, sorcerers, hypocrites,thieves, deceivers,sowers of discord,falsifiers,carbon con merchants, etc.

Alice (in Warmerland)
Posted by Alice Thermopolis, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 5:25:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy