The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pro-choice and pro-voice: why women's abortion stories matter > Comments

Pro-choice and pro-voice: why women's abortion stories matter : Comments

By Kate Marsh, published 11/4/2011

Is it possible to feel compassion for women at the same time as denying anti-choice rhetoric?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Thank-you Kate for a well written, balanced and compassionate article. The studies you quote are consistent with my own observations over a 12 year career in the Health System and a lifetime among diverse peoples.
Posted by divine_msn, Monday, 11 April 2011 12:21:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Abortion isn't an ideological decision no matter how much feminists and religious people want to co-opt/stain/judge individual women's private choices.

Piss off and let them all be.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 11 April 2011 12:59:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kate writes

'The answer is terrifyingly simple: abortion is still heavily stigmatised in most areas of Australian society'

No immorality is promoted and then people are taught not to take responsibility for their actions. The real lack of compassion is not to the woman agreeing to the killing of the unborn but to the unborn child itself. The only reason the adoption list is so long in this country results from us killing our own and then wanting to bring them from overseas. As usual the tears are directed in the wrong direction.
Posted by runner, Monday, 11 April 2011 1:23:30 PM
runner, Monday, 11 April 2011 1:23:30 PM

There is, or was, no child to need compassion.

The 'adoption list" and abortion are separate issues. Women are not factories for the likes of you.
Posted by McReal, Monday, 11 April 2011 2:32:40 PM
Ah gotchya Briar. I guess I see regret as something negative, permanent, manageable. I get you mean that some people might need help moving past them. Happy to agree.

Rita, nice spiel.

“Lethal violence against these tiniest and most defenceless of all children is never 'necessary'. All violence against children is preventable.”

No it isn’t and we’ve never prevented it.

“ Or is it a tiny human being, the young of the human species, a human child already conceived, already alive and growing, being protected and nurtured in his/her mother's womb?”

I’m shocked you didn’t work in fluffy ducks and cute little kittens somewhere there.
Posted by Jewely, Monday, 11 April 2011 7:49:06 PM
This article concerned me - words used clearly begged some important questions.

Why use the term anti-choice when talking about people who are unambiguously pro-life?

Those who see a troubled pregnancy to its end have many choices - raising the child or adoption being but two.

Those who carry a child to term avoid the negative psychological burdens that afflict many who have abortions.

Why not call the so-called pro-choice people for what they are - clearly they are anti-life.

A pro-choice perspective calls for only one choice, and that is the conduct of a medical procedure that is only fatal.

So much for a medical requirement that calls on a doctor to "first, do no harm".
Posted by MJS2122, Monday, 11 April 2011 8:07:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy