The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gaddafi is not mad, just lost in translation > Comments

Gaddafi is not mad, just lost in translation : Comments

By Abe Ata, published 11/4/2011

Gaddafi might not make sense to us, but that is because we aren't speaking his language.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Abe Ata

Why all the fuss about Gaddafi, what has he got that we do not wish to see in the despots who, at this point in time, run our Democracies?

This is without mentioning the gentle folk that the historians keep on altars for us to venerate and for our child, suited in convenient school uniform, to emulate in the subtle art of social inequity and military battles called war.

Was Saddam Hussein any different from the gentlepeople who hanged him?

Mad dog, psychopath, maniac are meaningless expressions when they come from brains that, pervaded by religious fantasies and doctrines of every kind, try to abscond their mental bends behind adjectives.

Let’s come clean. Power is that hitch that grips our being, hitch that, if indulged, will end in rivers of blood.

But we can’t come clean. We, you and me, are well attached to the comforts of a good job and the prosperity it affords us at the expense of those who have to soil their hands for a crust.

Came back sir, come after you despoil yourself of your job and your wealth, when you have graduate to sleep under bridges and scrape your food from a rubbish bin.

Then we’ll be closer to the foundation of a less insane society
Posted by skeptic, Monday, 11 April 2011 4:46:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Nelson Mandela’s good buddy, Muammur Gadaffi, a psychopath?

Does he sound erudite to Libyans? To Arabs generally?

I don’t know and I don’t care.

What I want to know is whether the president of what is still the world’s most powerful country is an actual moron or whether he only appears that way to me because I don’t understand “American.”

Why on Earth has the United States got involved in Libya? Aren’t two wars, a budget deficit bigger than the GDP of a medium sized country and a looming crisis over the debt ceiling enough to keep any president occupied?

Never mind some tin pot dictator of a nothing country Abe Ata. Explain Obama to us.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 11 April 2011 5:14:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fcuk language - Gaddafi is a murderous prick. The tongue in which he speaks is irrelevant.
Posted by Aleister Crowley, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 12:24:54 AM
It's just one of those aspects of human nature that will never be explained, stevenlmeyer, no matter how long this planet lasts.

>>Why on Earth has the United States got involved in Libya? Aren’t two wars, a budget deficit bigger than the GDP of a medium sized country and a looming crisis over the debt ceiling enough to keep any president occupied?<<

It's just another angle on the baby seal syndrome. Defies logic.

For some reason, we believe that beating the brains out of a little fluffy baby seal is an entirely different act than, say, poisoning rats so that they die in agony. We travel to the most inhospitable places on the earth's surface to thwart the destruction of one cetacean, but happily tuck into our Tournedos Rossini (yum!) without a thought for the cow or the goose, and how they reached our table.

We are bosom buddies with Muammar Gadaffi, Saddam Hussein, Hosni Mubarak and Co. for a while, then get cross with them when they misbehave. The closest analogy I can think of would be the local school playground, and the way kids switch their affections and allegiance over a bag of lollies.

It is clearly best never to be mates with the big guys in the playground. As the genocide in Rwanda showed, if you run below the radar, not many people notice, and even fewer actually care.

But hey, we're only human. We can only really think about one thing at a time. As soon as it gets complicated, we revert to shrugging our shoulders, then console ourselves for our lack of concern by criticising anybody who actually gets off their backside to do something.

We're human beings, stevenlmeyer, and do things that human beings do. Irrational, impulsive, noble, cowardly, devious, thoughtless, courageous things. Barack Obama is human.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 9:17:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy