The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Getting the nanny state out of alcohol retail > Comments

Getting the nanny state out of alcohol retail : Comments

By Oliver Hartwich, published 28/3/2011

There's nothing 'super' about a supermarket that can sell you steak for the barbie, but not the beer to marinade it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Dan,

You are making exactly the same argument as those who insist that drugs must be banned and criminalised. Ie Access to drugs and alcohol, creates addicts, and more access creates more addicts.

But its not true. Look at the effect on heroin. Do you think that the fact that it is highly expensive and inconvenient to obtain, has reduced its usage and the harm it causes.

On the contrary, I'd say its increased the harm and probably increased the usage as well.
Posted by PaulL, Tuesday, 29 March 2011 8:59:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While heroin is not exactly hard to obtain it is a lot less accessable than alcohol and much more expensive. This undoubtedly DOES regulate usage. Its illegal status may dissuade some but for many users the 'forbidden fruit' factor increases desirability. Although I no longer work in the Health sector, the last time I took an interest in opiate abuse, usage and addiction figures were down. The trend was toward stimulants with methamphetamine being the biggest concern.

I tend to believe that all 'recreational' drugs should be legal and regulated. It would remove the vicarious thrill many users get from the process of procuring their preferred poison if one merely had to visit the 'drug store', show ID, complete paperwork or oral questionaire and purchase a certified quality controlled product. Not to mention harm minimisation.

Even if usage did increase, the benefits would vastly outweigh the drawbacks. The health issues would be milder, trackable and more predictable. Criminals would be largely out of the multi-billion dollar illegal drug industry and Government would pick up many millions in taxes. Law enforcement would be freed up and prison space as well. As with tobacco, education starting at early age would discourage drug use.

That's how it would be if I ruled the world ... LOL. Plus you would need to do exactly the same if purchasing alcohol.

Manufacturers and retailers would hate it but that approach would definately cut back consumption.
Posted by divine_msn, Tuesday, 29 March 2011 12:29:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well.. this is and will be, a deep-thinkers findings to a watchfulnesssss problems, that only exists in the minds of those that need that understandings which only vampires of the minds would understand in the larger scales of things:) Now! what is that big word for human-studies?

Answer! Undo what greed has supplied us with the means of, or all of gods plants are here for why he put them here in the first place:)( Love to hear the religious views on this one.

"Buddha says....all the worlds are for you....only your judgments are for you, and yours alone."

Sorry....Who am I to reorganize the human race righteously, and not thinking to do, when we all know the peoples, in its masses makes money, but brings the planet down with its ban-aid-solutions.

Let humans go.....and more money will follow. How good does it feel, the sence of freedom:)

3 weeks until 7 billion............I cant wait to see the next five years of commonsense:)

Two choices. Play it strait or play it bent. I don't think it needs any more thought than that.

LEAP
Posted by Quantumleap, Tuesday, 29 March 2011 11:35:52 PM
Assuming all legal profits are good, then by extension, ruining lives with alcohol and drugs is good. Clearly untrue. There is no clear line between selling something for profit and whether this is good or bad for all of us in society.

Yet all advertising is a tax deduction. Therefore we all support the selling of largely negative products like alcohol.
It may be time for a 'Social Benefit' rating for all products. Alcohol should I think, receive a Social Benefit rating not far above cigaretts.

I am off the point of the article but extending the reach of alcohol sales is as bad as increasing the reach of any other drug. Lets put a value on the product.
Posted by Michael Dw, Wednesday, 30 March 2011 8:22:26 PM
Do I believe that using mind and or personality altering substances is a good thing? No, unless for the treatment of serious mental illness.

Do I believe that the significent portion of mankind who do indulge in such activities will suddenly lose all interest in and cease using mind bending substances? Well maybe .... when Hell freezes over!

In other words prohibition doesn't work, will never work and to pretend that we have any chance of eradicating illicit drugs and the harmful legal drugs is utter foolishness.

The only solution is to exercise as much control as possible without driving the problem underground and creating a whole extra set of problems - as currently exists.

Alcohol of course is different - legally, cheaply and widely available as well as highly accepted. Therein lies much of the problem. There have been shifts in alcohol use in recent decades - all detrimental. Apart from attitudinal change, the other obvious contributors are easy, cheap access.

I don't have a crystal ball but one thing I know - greater access to alcoholic drinks and price 'competition' between the big outlets is not going to be part of any solution.
Posted by divine_msn, Wednesday, 30 March 2011 10:42:20 PM
What constitutes a 21-century drug-dealer? Then ask yourselves....why do they breed us, and what for:)
Go and ask them!...:)

LEAP
Posted by Quantumleap, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 6:11:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy