The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tea Parties are for Boston Harbour, not Port Jackson > Comments

Tea Parties are for Boston Harbour, not Port Jackson : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 11/3/2011

Sorry Janet Albrechtsen, Australia is light years from emulating a US-style Tea Party.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
chris .. I was responding to the other posters who instantly go ballistic at the mention of another opinion contrary to their own, and a known conservative like Janet is mentioned .. why worry, conservatives are so marginalized in the media here .. and the ABC unheard of except as a curiosity at such events as Q&A .. didn't some idiot throw a shoe at a conservative at one of the ABC events .. what sort of people are they?
Posted by rpg, Saturday, 12 March 2011 9:03:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris, face it, RPG is one of those people who believe there is a great secret war between people who are "left" and people who are "right" and insist that the other side has taken over the country and "persecuting" their side, and the only way to restore balance is to make an alternate source of media that follows their side (a source that actually IS left/right wing, as opposed to catering for a generalized audience like every other media outlet).

You've seen it before I'm sure Chris- where people who call themselves 'left' insist a media outlet is "right wing" because it interviewed John Howard without saying he is evil, or people who call themselves 'right' complaining a channel MUST be left because it had a story about David Hicks without once talking to Piers Akerman about it.

To be honest I'm still trying to figure out where the strict 'left wingedness' or 'right wingedness' in most of our media actually exists, beyond a couple of opinion authors some papers/channels hire.
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 13 March 2011 9:37:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Hazza,

I think all forums, including academia and media, should have a variety of perspectives on them.

Unfortunately, differences between commentators do lead to labels when, in reality, most people have eclectic tastes on political issues.

Sure those with different perspectives will seek to take issue or make points wherever possible over the makeup of people in various institutions, so comments should be made about balance.

But, as I am one who believes it is impossible to have a perfect perspective, I do believe that 'debate' can only be enhanced by exposure of each commentator's strengths and weaknesses. Hence, I think the ABC is improving, although the complex issues remain unresolved.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 13 March 2011 9:59:30 AM
Indeed Chris- and I actually think it's specifically because most of our media outlets are generally quite open to broad input and coverage and entertaining many viewpoints; that leaves more polarized individuals longing for a more polarized outlet.

I'd disagree with the ABC (or the SBS as some also imply) being particularly biased towards the left-wing viewpoints either- I've found they have indeed given a fair bit of screen time to a wide range of opinions (mainly politicians of numerous parties); the 'left' thing seems to be from that they are more persistent in covering political issues that the "left" seem to be lobbying about.
Some have even placed the Chaser and the David Hicks documentary as examples of "left wingedness" when neither seemed to have any great bias.
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 13 March 2011 6:29:14 PM
I see king hazza notices no bias at all, till a conservative, RPG, posts, then flames him .. oh well, no bias there eh hazza

"RPG is one of those people who believe there is a great secret war between people who are "left" and people who are "right" and insist that the other side has taken over the country and "persecuting" their side, and the only way to restore balance is to make an alternate source of media that follows their side (a source that actually IS left/right wing, as opposed to catering for a generalized audience like every other media outlet).

where did RPG say any of that? (or is that what you imagine he thinks?, being the sage you are of course you know what everyone thinks .. why do we bother, you could just put up all our opinions for us, since you seem to know what everyone thinks .. nes pa?)

I think you see bias where you want to .. and particularly if the source might be conservative.

Did you not see any bias in all the posts before RPGs?

No of course, not they were all rational measured posts ..

no surprise you see the ABC as an unbiased source
Posted by Amicus, Monday, 14 March 2011 6:00:24 AM
I also think the ABC is a fantastic news source, always have.
In fact, my main source of info, besides world newspapers and Internet, is the ABC (and SBS).

On radio, I enjoy AM, PM, the World Today, Late Night Live, Saturday Extra, Counter Point, Tony Delroy and so on.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 14 March 2011 7:24:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy