The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Closing the Gap' Gillard style > Comments

'Closing the Gap' Gillard style : Comments

By Michelle Harris, published 17/2/2011

Gillard’s characterisation of the problem is grossly unfair to Aboriginal people and demonstrably inaccurate

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
the poor abos were simple cavemen when the poms discovered Australia; you cant expect these poor wretches to live in a civilised society after only 250yrs. They cant even clean their kid's faces...hence the massive trachoma infections (unseen in white society)
Posted by peter piper, Thursday, 17 February 2011 11:52:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree entirely with Julia Gillard, Aboriginal people need to look forward and not keep looking back.
Education is the answer, Aboriginal people must be urged to send their children regularly to school, once this generation is educated and they see what they can achieve with an education there will be no holding them.
I also feel that Aboriginal people must use English as their first language. I feel that it is time Aboriginal people took charge of their lives and stopped expecting to be supported. Around outback towns it is called "sit down" money, this is what most Aboriginal people do in outback towns "sit down".
I don't think Aboriginal people can expect to live like they did in the past, they must educate themselves and work like everyone else has to do. Supporting oneself and your family leans towards self respect.
It is time Aboriginal people faced the alcohol, abuse, neglect and lack of education problems head on. This is not racist this is just saying how things are.
Posted by MAREELORRAINE, Thursday, 17 February 2011 12:08:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having lived and worked with aboriginals over many years one has to congratulate Ms Gillard for at last stating a truth. I wish she was wrong but she is 100% right. I have seen the situation Ozandy describes many times over. As long as we allow the academics who sit on their bums in Canberra to determine that its fine for a group of people to sit around camps drinking, fighting and running amuck things will never change. Idleness always leads to trouble and visit any WA Regional town and you will see plenty of that. I am still very torn between the belief of the stolen or saved generation. Many kids I see today if any other colour than black would of been saved many years ago. Political correctness along with the false exaltation of abhorrent cultural practice (hidden form the academics due to blindness). Recent arrivals to Australia (in Regional centres) can not believe what they see having been brainwashed into thinking the problem is that Australians are rednecks. Well some are but the problem lies much more with the academics in denial and the lack of leadership among the aboriginal people. Noel Pearson who is berated by the left is an outstanding leader who shows what could be when things are done right.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 17 February 2011 12:29:34 PM
MAREELORRAINE it's also about time the parliament had a women's legislature so Aborigines can make decisions like they've always done.
Posted by whistler, Thursday, 17 February 2011 4:30:33 PM
It's a long row to hoe. The indig; are making decisions, and that is to do nothing. Two days out of five for school. Living a life of nothing.
Why is not the stolen generation seen as a positive, The progeny of these lot are the university attenders. I don't see any of these people going back to join the tribe. They know to much to even think about it.
For their own good to bring this to a conclusion is to segregate the young from the elders, or else the cycle will keep going around. and around, with no conclusion ever.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 17 February 2011 4:58:56 PM
hoe hoe hoe ... the univesity attendees are the tribe. so where's the women's legislature 579?
Posted by whistler, Thursday, 17 February 2011 5:36:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy