The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rescuing the humanities from itself > Comments

Rescuing the humanities from itself : Comments

By John Armstrong, published 11/2/2011

Let's sub the job of lecturing out to YouTube and let teachers get on with helping students to cultivate habits of mind.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Good article. I am frustrated social science graduate who has great faith in the importance of the humanities, but agree with the likes of Gregory Melleuish that there really are some serious problems with it today.

Overall, I think the humanities lack ideological diversity and a strong leadership personalities. I see it as a field in which criticism is directed at people outside of the humanities but there is little self-criticism or ethic of self-improvement within the humanities. The visual arts are much of a muchness.

I attribute the problem as stemming from the importance of relationship building for career progression. This naturally builds groups of like minded thinkers who are conservative in their conformity. I saw the same thing in China where guanxi (social relationships) govern every facet of Chinese life and lead to a stifling of discussion on a series of important issues. In both countries, to have individual opportunities in the bureaucracy you must champion the agreed political ethics of the bureaucracy.

The only solution that I see is to break up those groups in the recruitment process and to cultivate an ethic that ideological conflict is not something to be feared in universities, but something to embrace. Furthermore, the humanities should lead Australia by setting the example, not criticizing from the sidelines.
Posted by Chaddotikolo, Friday, 11 February 2011 9:49:54 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is indeed a serious problem with humanities.

It, "humanities", has been committed to a geriatric institution called ‘Universities’ and there is spoon-fed by the archenemy of humanity; ‘The State’
Posted by skeptic, Friday, 11 February 2011 10:34:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agree with Skeptic on this one. I taught in a humanities school at a uni in Melbourne for almost 15 years and I can only conclude that at least half of the research done was not only totally useless from advancing new knowledge but it was also self referential and twee - especially what is called new media/visual arts.

It seemed as if the school existed as an extension of an academic's hobby - to play with groovy cameras, sound desks, etc, to make, well... I'm not sure.

The body of work which is the humanities isn't in danger of collapsing - it's being strangled by hobbyists and auteurs.
Posted by Cheryl, Friday, 11 February 2011 11:40:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My daughter has recently completed degrees in Science and Arts at Melbourne University. Her Arts majors were in History and Politics. The saddest part of her Arts experience was her early realisation that the way to good marks was to give the lecturers what they wanted. Thus her essays, particularly in Politics, were models of the pseudo-left, post modern ideology that surrounded her. Most of the time she didn't believe what she wrote but her few attempts to develop an independent point of view were met with scathing comments and poor marks.

If we want to know why students are turning away from the humanities in droves, we need look no further than the current narrow ideological focus on gender, class and oppression, a focus which ignores the intellectual and political foundations of Western civilisation. A grasp of these foundations is essential to an understanding of 21st century Australia.
Posted by Senior Victorian, Friday, 11 February 2011 12:18:31 PM
In my opinion John is one of the best public philosophers in Australia. His books are always well researched, well written, and a delight to read. He is also an excellent public speaker. The Secret Power of Beauty -- Conditions Of Love -- Love Life Goethe.

As for Greg Melleuish he is very much part of the problem.
I find his writings completely wooden and lacking in any real depth or insight into anything. He promotes a kind of boys-own-adventure view of the world. As do the people he associates with.

The world-view that he promotes is a entirely within the framework of the now ruling dreadfully sane one-dimensional-man. The characteristics of which were described by Herbert Marcuse in his famous book. And also by living writers such as Zygmunt Bauman.

Greg's writings on religion are all essentially sociological. They contain no insights into the nature of The Divine or the profound depths of human Consciousness and Being.

The question still remains as to how the humanities can be revived?

First of all you HAVE to take into account the over-whelming elephant-in-the-room. Namely television and the way in which it has systematically destroyed our intrinsic intelligence, and thus by extension human culture altogether.

I have just read The Sibling Society by Robert Bly - a very sobering book. Plus the work of Joseph Chilton Pearce is very informative, especially his book Evolutions End in which he argues that the current and future TV generations are so profoundly damaged at the psycho-biological level that they are beyond repair.
What then will human culture be like in seven generations time?

This is a question that Robert Bly and all traditional sources of Wisdom have always asked.

We have NO Living Wisdom Tradition.
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 11 February 2011 5:50:06 PM
As one who’s taught English at secondary and tertiary levels, I have to say that Humanities are in need of the last rites, quicksmart. Chaddotikolo’s assertion that the field ‘lacks ideological diversity’ is probably the understatement of the year. Humanities Departments at uni neither read, write, not study literature — they criticise it. A good PhD thesis these days mines Shakespeare for insights on what Elizabethans thought about environmental degradation (and I’m not making that up). The only reason you can’t critique misogyny in Homer is that it’s been done too many times.

Which hardly matters, since ‘Literature’ no longer exists in high school. Students in NSW might read Emma, but only to compare it with the movie Clueless in an essay on personal identity. They study Leunig cartoons by the dozen, but there’s not one essay on the syllabus, even though they’re required to write them, and the essay counts for 1/3 of their mark on the HSC. If they learned to write like Orwell, Addison, or Chesterton, they’d fail. The Board of Studies wants something in the form of a newspaper opinion piece. I teach my better students to imitate Op Ed pieces in The Australian, and if they’re assiduous they’ll finish in Band 6.

Most students arriving at University write better than their teachers, but that isn’t saying much. You can’t tell the class not to use weak verbs without first teaching them what a verb is. Concepts like passive voice or first person are foreign to them. Some have read Harry Potter, none have read de Maupassant, or O. Henry. A few have read Animal Farm, but since they’ve never heard of Lenin or Stalin (and often can’t place WW’s I or II in the proper decade), they miss the point. A fair few have enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but I always enjoy the wide-eyed astonishment when I explain it’s an allegory of the New Testament.

There just isn’t enough literature left in the curriculum in 2011 to keep literature alive, so ‘Humanities’ morphed into the study of Good Ideologies.
Posted by donkeygod, Friday, 11 February 2011 10:50:51 PM
I can understand the poor state of philosophy within the white Anglo-Saxon community judging by the low standard of Harvard philosopher Michael Sandal. He's been hailed a good philosopher. He's judged effective by the number of students who attend his class. It's a numbers game the West is good at playing. The academic standard in the West is indeed falling like meteorites.

He is more an entertainer than he is a philosopher.

The West never did understand what true philosophy is. They had a head start in science which enabled them to build weapons of destruction to kill, rape and plunder the Asians, Africans and American Indians. They eventually colonised many parts of the world, stole from the non-whites and forced many non-whites to be virtually like slaves.

The whites natural philsophy is hedonism and epicureanism. Today the whites are returning to their roots, leading a hedonistic lifestyle. The so called white European "culture" (they never really got rid of their babaric roots) is dying out in their place of origin, Europe. The Muslims are replacing them in Europe as the white's birth-rate is so low so that within a few generations the white would be extinct!
Posted by Philip Tang, Saturday, 12 February 2011 10:04:49 AM
"The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive."
Thomas Sowell
Posted by Peter Hume, Saturday, 12 February 2011 10:56:48 AM
Work has nothing do do with the crisis in Western Civilization. Nor whether one is on the left or the right side of the culture wars.

It is much deeper than that.

The key point in the Sibling Society book is that we moderns are incapable of understanding what Robert Bly called the vertical dimensions of our being, or that we are stuck in a horizontal flatland. Ken Wilber writes about this.

Because we are ALL trapped in the flatland vision it does not matter how much and often we read the Bible or any of the key novels etc of the European literary tradition, NONE of it will make any difference to anything at all.

Most of the people that write essays for, or post comments on OLO, including those that presume to be religious, are quite obviously stuck in flatland.

Look at the hostility to the energetic subtleties of homeopathy and the world-view implicit in its epistemology. So too with the concepts of chi and prana in the TCM and Ayurvedic epistemologies. Epistemoligies which are an integral part of the Chinese and Indian world-views altogether.

Particularly the multi-dimensional epistemology of Vedic science. A science which takes into account all kinds of subtle energies, and dimensions of the human body-mind structure that Western science, in its current form is incapable of even acknowledging.

In the USA there is a movement to try to reintroduce the so called Christian understanding into the the universities. This will not make any real difference to anything. Indeed some of the most strident advocates of flat-landism are right-wing Christians (although they like to pretend otherwise).

Capitalism itself IS the ultimate product of flat-landism. It is just the other side of the same toxic reductionist coin as communism.

The Tea Party movement in the USA is the the now-time manifestation of Sibling Society politics. Pure flat-landism, with much double-minded talk about "God".

People like the Koch brothers and Newt Gingrich are the "elite" versions of the Sibling Society. As indeed is the entire GOP in its current form.
Posted by Ho Hum, Saturday, 12 February 2011 12:08:32 PM
Yes if we can only get rid of all of these leftie parasites from the academy then we can get on with the great project of trashing the planet and human Civilization unhindered.

In other times and places such useless workers and "parasites" would have been sent to the gulags or re-"education" camps.

Meanwhile this essay and site gives us some necessary insight into how the academy is very much an integral part of the military industrial complex.

http://demilitarize.org/fact-sheets/enfact-sheet-pentagon-universities
Posted by Ho Hum, Saturday, 12 February 2011 12:51:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy