The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Garnaut’s Updates – even more political > Comments

Garnaut’s Updates – even more political : Comments

By Des Moore, published 7/2/2011

Professor Garnaut's latest update of his Review of Climate Change exaggerates the problems of global warming more than his original.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Of course Des and the various people and outfits that he associates with and promotes do not have political, ideological or "religious" bias's or axes to grind - do they?

They see "reality true" - "reality" as defined by the corporately funded right-wing tanks and their vast network of propaganda outlets and public relations (lying) firms. Items that appear in the "news" reports pretending to be "news" items but which are public relation press releases - manipulative propaganda and down-right lies.
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 7 February 2011 12:21:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ross Garnaut, Professor Steffen, David Karoly, Tim Flannery and their ilk should be required to adhere to the same standards of due diligence required of company directors, particularly those signing off on a Prospectus.

Corporations Law has very demanding requirements that company directors ensure that statements that they are making are in fact true, and that they have undertaken serious due diligence to ensure that. Standard practice has developed around the preparation of prospectus that requires preparation of due diligence files that contain the appropiate supporting information for every material statement made in the prospectus. The idea is that the due diligence file can be tendered as evidence that the directors undertook sincere and detailed due diligence to ensure that statements that they signed off on in the prospectus are in fact true. Lawyers are engaged to supervise the whole process, and directors are required to personally sign off on the final prospectus and the related due diligence files.

It has amazed me, and I am sure many other experienced business people familiar with due diligence processes, that people like Ross Garnaut (and many politicians for that matter) can get away with making public statements as they do, completely ignoring the substantial bodies of evidence contradicting almost all of the statements that they have made.

Arguably, the impacts of statements made by Ross Garnaut are far larger in terms of their possible economic impact on more people than most prospectuses. He should be held accountable for the statements he has made
Posted by Herbert Stencil, Monday, 7 February 2011 12:33:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Herbert Stencil

Your comments are absolutely right on the button.

The standards required of company directors are far higher than those in academia
Posted by bigmal, Monday, 7 February 2011 12:59:52 PM
If the principle of telling the truth, and of being held accountable for both the intended and unintended consequences of what one says in public were applied across the board, hardly anyone would be qualified to make a statement about anything of importance at all.

This would obviously include all politicians and religious "authorities".

By this standard John Howard, George Bush and Tony Blair should all be in jail by now for telling outright lies. Lies which caused the death of hundreds of thousands of people in Iraq, and which set the scene for the DELIBERATE systematic trashing of the infrastructure of the nation of Iraq.

I remember reading at the time that what actually happened in Iraq was the largest single theft of resources that has ever occurred on this planet - in the shortest time too.

Remember too, that the right-wing stink-tanks that Des associates with were all very enthusiastic about this Imperial invasion and subsequent (deliberate) trashing and theft. The magic (voodoo) of the "free" market.

All of which was made "lawful" by the new system of "laws" that were put in place by the Bremer "administration" after the Imperial invasion. "Laws" which enabled the subsequent theft and looting.

This reference titled TOTAL WAR: AGRIBUSINESS STYLE describes what thus happened to agriculture in Iraq.

Read and listen to this and weep

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/1022.html

Plus a reference on the unintended consequences of the now ubiquitous
herbicide Roundup http://www.responsibletechnology.org
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 7 February 2011 2:10:39 PM
"Remember too, that the right-wing stink-tanks that Des associates with were all very enthusiastic about this Imperial invasion and subsequent (deliberate) trashing and theft. The magic (voodoo) of the "free" market."

Only an idiot could style the government-funded, government-authorised, government-perpetrated invasion of Iraq as anything to do with a "free market". It's the exact opposite and you are either displaying your confusion or your dishonesty.
Posted by Peter Hume, Monday, 7 February 2011 3:10:16 PM
Posted by bigmal, Monday, 7 February 2011 12:59:52 PM

yes bigmall precisely my sentiments !
Posted by Garum Masala, Monday, 7 February 2011 4:08:38 PM
I'm no great fan of the IPA, but I'm still waiting for a comment that actually addresses the substance of this article. Something better than Ho Hum's 'I know you are, but what am I?', odd ramblings about Iraq and some ad-hoc anti-GMO nonsense thrown into the conspiratorial salad mix.
Posted by Clownfish, Monday, 7 February 2011 4:11:09 PM
The role and actions of the right-wing stink tanks (Des's ideological fellow travelers) in the invasion and the deliberate trashing and grand theft of the infrastructure Iraq is all on the public record.Indeed they had planned it all well before Sept 11 - again such intentions are all on the public record.

Bush was just the one-dimensional cardboard puppet/stooge of the neo-psychotics and their project to dismantle and then reassemble the politics and culture of the Islamic countries in the Middle-East.

Naomi Klein writes about this in her book The Shock Doctrine. Part 6, chapters 16-18. This section has 136 fact checked foot-notes, many of which are public statements by the neo-psychotics re their intentions and actions.
The section is titled Iraq: Full Circle. The chapters are titled:
16. Erasing Iraq:In Search of a "Model" for the Middle East
17. Ideological Blowback: A Very Capitalist Disaster
18. Full Circle: From Blank State to Scorched Earth

Just Google Naomi Klein Trashing Iraq and see for your self.

And yes, as far as I know GM so called foods will inevitably turn out to be a disaster. Somewhere down the line there WILL be all sorts of unintended consequences. New diseases and possibly agricultural and horticultural melt-downs.
None of which could ever be put back in the genies bottle.

A friend of mind who is a horticulturist told me several years ago that Roundup will sooner or later create all sorts of unintended consequences. The essay I pointed too strongly suggests, even proves, that this is indeed the case. Remember that Roundup has always been promoted as completely safe and non-toxic to human beings.
Posted by Ho Hum, Tuesday, 8 February 2011 2:55:00 PM
'A friend of mind' told you? A most telling slip, Ho Hum.

I hate to think what your lampshade's telling you.
Posted by Clownfish, Tuesday, 8 February 2011 3:51:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy