The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gillard's spin on flood levy sucking her into the vortex > Comments

Gillard's spin on flood levy sucking her into the vortex : Comments

By Malcolm Colless, published 31/1/2011

Gillard’s flood levy is all about demonstrating that she has what it takes to be a real leader. But it may, in fact be her undoing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Garum Masala

I think you misread my post. I'm saying that Gillard considers the NBN untouchable,so instead of accessing a small amount of that money, she has unnecessarily imposed a new tax for a natural disaster (which occur predictably and regularly in Australia)to avoid accessing monies destined for her social reform agenda, virtually all of which has proven a failure so far. (Cash for clunkers, BER, Green loans scheme, Home Insulation Scheme)
Posted by Atman, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 9:12:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OK individual, please don't give the b*t*ch any more ideas but you can be sure she has a few absolute crackers up her sleeve.
Posted by Sparkyq, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 5:52:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sparkyq, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 5:52:38 PM

I am thinking our Julia is a liability , nothing ever stacks up for her , she might be politically clever but her business acumen smells .

Is it time for another "Putsch" ?

Oakshot and his peculiar Mates might muster up the puissance to Mount the "ABBOTT" what fun !
Posted by Garum Masala, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 7:15:45 PM
Sparkyq,
the way things are heading she won't be looking up her sleeve any longer. The time has come to lower her sights.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 9:28:00 PM
Sparkyq
Firstly, all flood damaged infrastructure/property should not necessarily be rebuilt. For example, it would be imprudent to restore all of the low-lying areas that should never have been built on in the first place.

Secondly, the Qld Govt should bear its fair share of funding the rebuilding. What use does it make of the State royalties that it levies on the mining companies? Instead of spending the royalty funds on Brisbane infrastructure/projects (country people long ago labelled it the Queen Street Govt), it should use them to restore roads that serve the mining/country regions.

There is absolutely no justification for the Labor Govt implementing a special flood levy.

Any funding that the Commonwealth provides, should come direct from its annual budgets, as has always been the practice. It should be remembered that the Labor Govt had no hesitation in spending billions and billions of dollars on unjustified pink batts installations and building unproductive Julia Gillard memorial halls, and is now in the process of spending vast amounts of funds on the NBN which is not cost-benefit justified . It is ironic that it is now crying poor when it comes to funding the flood damage.
Posted by Raycom, Tuesday, 1 February 2011 10:32:49 PM
Raycom, I agree with you that a long hard look should be taken at what infrastructure is replaced, and where. At the moment it is essential that we quickly reconnect people ie, roads, rail, power, comms services.

Unfortunately, Labor in Qld has squandered the income from mining royalties on "heaven knows what" but it aint there any more.

And i agree with you about the levy. Julia should be able to take the red pencil to spending. I am sure there are a lot of funds going to less than useful research, social programmes and some aid programmes, just to name a few. Oh and of course the projects you have mentioned
Posted by Sparkyq, Wednesday, 2 February 2011 5:57:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy