The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Now is the time for an Australian inquiry into the Iraq War > Comments

Now is the time for an Australian inquiry into the Iraq War : Comments

By Chris Doran, published 28/1/2011

With the UK Chilcot Inquiry into the Iraq War due to release its findings, now is the time to demand a similar inquiry in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
We desperately need to change the constitution that allows the government to take us into war without any accountability. The government should have to undergo an open and in depth investigation of their actions within twelve months of committing the country to war. There needs to be guidelines, overseen by the GG that the government has to follow before taking action.
Posted by Flo, Friday, 28 January 2011 12:41:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Iraq is the epitome of "war for profit". The Bush Administration championed the outsourcing of government functions to private corporations.
Unfortunately, John Howard was so enamoured at being seen as a little buddy of George W. Bush and his dodgy outfit that, as Prime Minister, he allowed his own sense of personal affirmation to override his responsibility to judge the issue of Iraq on its own merits. A little more consultation with those that had nothing to gain from the invasion may have cleared his mind a little.

Here's some stats on the Iraq War
http://usliberals.about.com/od/homelandsecurit1/a/IraqNumbers.htm
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 28 January 2011 12:41:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't see anyone demanding Bob Hawke be charged with war crimes?

Why is that, he went to war in Iraq in 1991 ..

Kevin Rudd and the ALP supported Australia's decision to go to war in Iraq with President Bush, where are the cries for them to be charged as war criminals?

Very selective .. I suspect more driven by ideological hatred of conservatives, than anything else.

Keep in mind, PM John (MOS) Howard had a mandate to rule and this is a democracy where a PM could and did make those sort of decisions, as did Bob Hawke.

Still, it's nice to have a hobby isn't it.
Posted by Amicus, Friday, 28 January 2011 1:16:31 PM
Who ever got the idea in their head that members of political parties were intelligent or had integrity? Despite having a reasonable constitution, none of the parties require or demand that members promise that they will honour and obey the terms of their party's constitution. From what I have seen, to become a member, all one has to do is sign a form promising that they will agree with the decision of the majority. This implies that persons joining, have no integrity, and little intelligence, and the decisions made by the parties show that my remarks are true, in war and in peace, and we expect them to do the right thing, to ensure that our decisions are admirable and correct.
Posted by merv09, Friday, 28 January 2011 1:30:52 PM
"
Keep in mind, PM John (MOS) Howard had a mandate to rule and this is a democracy where a PM could and did make those sort of decisions, as did Bob Hawke.

Still, it's nice to have a hobby isn't it."

Even in a democracy, all should be open to be reviewed. I don't care what the colour of the government, they all have to be judged by the voters. For this to occur, the voter has the right to all the information that led to us being committed to war. Neither major party is inured to be fascinated with American presidents.

I am not seeking to remove their right to go to war(that would be nice). I am saying they have to justify their actions within a short period of time. That is democracy as I understand it.
Posted by Flo, Friday, 28 January 2011 2:39:58 PM
We vote for a party to lead us. Decisions were made bi partisan. So i am not sure who is in the firing line.
Iraq will be a better country away from dictators.
So what will an inquiry do for you. Tell us things we already know.
Posted by a597, Friday, 28 January 2011 2:59:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy