The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Residents in flood-prone areas must be better prepared, or shifted > Comments

Residents in flood-prone areas must be better prepared, or shifted : Comments

By Willem Vervoort, published 14/1/2011

There are too many problems with dams for them to be an effective agent of flood mitigation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
The thing is, if global warning/cooling.... is worth its pinch of salt, there's a greater danger of the affected zones being wiped right off the map.

This century will be interesting indeed.

I think Australians just love putting their loved one's in danger:)

or why else would you stay knowing what can happen?

NO money or job is worth that much, is it?

BLUE
Posted by Deep-Blue, Friday, 14 January 2011 3:02:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Housing 'development' has never been particularly intelligent in Australia. We have no shortage of tenth rate land in relatively 'safe' locations, but rather than use these sites, we destroy the best farming land in the country, line the riverbanks and sea-shores with so-called 'elite' housing, then when the brown stuff hits the fan we wonder why. Hmmmmmm. I don't suppose the pursuit of riches has anything to do with it.
Posted by kadaitcha, Friday, 14 January 2011 3:44:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Victoria at present is being rained upon by a moonsoonal trough. Which is a quite common Australian weather event.

Mind explaining why Victoria's temps are currently only in the high 20's ...which is quite cold for Victorian summers and nowhere near the temps felt in tropical and subtropical Australia in the summer.

I Guess global warming causes temps to fall just as it did in the blizzards in the northern hemisphere.
Posted by keith, Friday, 14 January 2011 4:05:30 PM
Could someone explain why Victoria had such a moderately warm winter.
Posted by 579, Friday, 14 January 2011 6:59:23 PM
One possible explanation could be - the hot air provided by the pollies in the recent state election. (Joking).
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 14 January 2011 9:48:00 PM
Buy outs do happen.

My folks built their first house on the flood plain in Bathurst, in the early 50s. What a job, with the post war shortages. When you got weather boards, you couldn't get any nails to put them up with.

We had been living in it for 5 months, with very few internal walls clad, before we got our first water tank. I was under strict instructions not to tell my mother that there were frogs in the well our water came from.

A flood went through a couple of year after we built, putting a foot or two through about 100 homes. Dad had built ours on about 4 ft stumps so we were one of the few who did not get it over the floor.

We left the district, but I used to check the place out when I went to Bathurst, it was extended, & had a lovely garden develop over the years.

I went back to Bathurst for the first time in 25 years, for a motor racing reunion in 2002. I went to see the old place, & it wasn't there. In fact about 95 houses weren't there.

It had been just one street across the plain, with houses either side for about a mile. It was now quite eerie. The domestic block fences were still there, & the remains of gardens, just no houses.

I was told that everyone was assisted in relocating. Houses were mostly on raised timber floors, so they were jacked up, loaded on low loaders, & moved. Simple really, but the hair on the back of my neck tingled, when I first saw a street with all the houses missing.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 14 January 2011 11:23:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy