The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australian of the Year: Julian Assange > Comments

Australian of the Year: Julian Assange : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 4/1/2011

His significance was realised late in the year, but this shouldn't stop Assange being The Australian of the Year.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Alice. Its a great article.

Julian Assange for Australian of the Year. He has Vladmir Putin's support. He must be a good bloke.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/wikileaks/putin-leads-support-for-assange/story-fn775xjq-1225968781585

Although I prefer him for the " outrageous poser/paranoid conspiracy theorist " of the Year Award.
Posted by PaulL, Tuesday, 4 January 2011 6:05:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
leftist of the Year is far more appropriate than Australian of the Year. That way he would be in good company with other alarmist of the Year. I wonder when the honour became so devalued. Then again the same people would of voted for Yassar to receive the Nobel Peace prize. Really makes you laugh.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 4 January 2011 6:41:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
interesting Article, I would need more information to vote him Australian of the year as to me Australian of the year are people who benefit all facets of society. Maybe when society has actually changed for the better we can look at giving it to Assange then. Assange in my eyes has not yet. Assange has also been found to not have broken any laws in Australia. So people who go on and on about this are ignorant fools. Also the garbage about America and terrorism lets face it the war in Afghanistan benefits only the Americans who are more like modern day vikings. To many lies and to many people have been lost. Long live wikileaks and other organizations like it. America does not rule the world. How about they get rid of all of their nuclear capable weapons and warships and reduce their defence force. Put more money into helping the poor people in the community.
Posted by gothesca, Tuesday, 4 January 2011 9:02:02 PM
Alice,

Good excerpt from David Burchell' article - he has nabbed it. I have never heard of him. I should chuck the SMH and turn to The Australian.

Paul,

That's hilarious Putin talking of democracy. Amazing and disgusting how Russia's free speaking journalists are treated and stealthily annihilated and not to mention Putin's current imprisoned tycoon(?) political opponent. Dreadful.
Posted by Constance, Tuesday, 4 January 2011 10:17:41 PM
Laurie Oakes won a Walkely Award last year for doing the same thing - except that Oakes never had to produce any evidence beyond heresay.

His gossip almost turned an election. What will Wikileaks change?

I for one think it's quite reasonable to know a bit more about what we are sacrificing our youth for on the battlefield.

I also think the remark about Aly was grossly unfair and incorrect.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 5 January 2011 1:31:10 AM
Very good article
There would not be a need for people like Julian if other journalists were not controlled in what they write. Most journalists have been co conspirators in the cover up of many things that should have been reported on. Journalists have become propagandists in their own right, with their own self interests paramount to the truth behind the scene.
I think that Julian has shown them all up. It's about time that some of the journalists and also the broadcasters started to speak the truth instead of presenting stories that are of no real interest and are merely meant to divert attention away from what is really happening in the world. Thanks for the internet. I no longer pay to read papers that have become propaganda and glitsy movie star reports.
Posted by 4freedom, Wednesday, 5 January 2011 7:55:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy