The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Empathy not sympathy helps inclusiveness > Comments

Empathy not sympathy helps inclusiveness : Comments

By Peter Gibilisco, published 29/12/2010

Advances in including the disabled are not as progressed as they might appear.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Congratulations on your book Peter
I have just ordered it and look forward to reading it
Let me know if you are interested in writing about the issue of young people with disabilities living in nursing homes
di.winkler@summerfoundation.org.au
Posted by Di Winkler, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 4:19:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Peter

Thks for article and congrats on book publication!

I agree with your statement empathy helps inclusiveness, and yes the need for continued education on awareness of issues impairment is critical. I thought the construct of hierarchies of inclusion is interesting, however would like to think that the more educated the mainstream, the greater the depth to these levels of inclusion.

Also, what factors do you identify as crucial; to inclusion in Aust specifically?

ok all the best for the New Year
Raelene
Posted by raw2, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 5:09:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
People with milder disabilities may be faring better in employment because they can serve as a reserve army of labour, rather as women did during world wars - in times of labour shortage people with milder disabilities are relatively easy to bring into the insecure, part time casual end of the labour market to do jobs that employers have difficulty filling - factory work, cleaning, etc. Legislative changes introduced in recent years has pushed people with milder disabilities and single mothers back into the workforce to plug this gap in the labour market. In harder economic times there is the choice of moving people with milder disabilities, single mothers etc back onto welfare, into training programs, into lesser working hours - these workers are still considered to be less deserving of secure employment and decent living standards. It is perhaps harder to get severely disabled people into work as they can be seen, by employers, legislators and the prejudiced public, to be taking a job that could be done by someone else. Society "overlooks" milder disabilities more than severe disabilities - it is still seen to be the role of severely disabled people to be looked after rather than to be independent. It's similar to the way society "overlooks" the Southern European migrant but still discriminates against the Asian job seeker, or "overlooks" migrants who wear western dress but not the ones who wear religious head coverings. Prejudice seems to get broken down in stages. People are judged based on how far they are from some mythical "centre" or "averageness". Society is so divided, there always seems to some group who we are supposed to see as "not like us", "less deserving".
Posted by Helen Said, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 5:33:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An interesting article. Unfortunately, the publishing industry is not the only industry with an aversion to issues regarding disability. The Fashion/Garment Industry is another.
I am currently compiling a series of articles regarding clothing needs of People with disabilities. I am pleased to invite Peter to contribute to this journal.
Ruth Clark
Fashion Moves
www.fashionmovescompetition.blogspot.com
Posted by RuthatFMA, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 5:35:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As soon as people start talking sence....you just might get a genuine comment.

BLUE
Posted by Deep-Blue, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 11:53:18 PM
Hi Peter a great article and Im so happy that you got your book published too! I will certainly be sourcing a copy and not just because you were my Uni lecturer at JNI but because you make such sense!
Another area which I didnt class as a disability until recently is being an older adult in the workforce (53 years old) or trying to get a job. Even without declaring my hernias and depression as potential disabilities, or hinderances I get through to the final stages out of hundreds of applicants for a job, am interviewed and do well at that and always seem to get right down to runner up or 2nd runner up status out of at times 220 applications sent in for the job, but yet I still just dont get the final nod there is always someone else with that something extra to pip me at the post. Generally it is because I am the oldest applicant they have for the job. I am doing well at Uni even getting distinctions this semester so its not that Im not well educated or experienced and many of these jobs are quite basic given my qualifications and experience but yet there is still always someone else just that better suited?
Keep up the great work Peter and good luck with the book!
Jayne.
Posted by holhav10, Thursday, 30 December 2010 7:01:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy