The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australian cities: the things we don’t talk about > Comments

Australian cities: the things we don’t talk about : Comments

By John Mant, published 21/12/2010

Suburban planning is the result of alone decisions made by separate actors operating under separate bits of regulation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
A very appropriate view! There are many built environment practitioners who, in their heart of hearts, agree but do not speak out to safeguard their present positions and interests. I am not implying that JM has not spoken his mind in the past but regrettably many of us cannot / do not speak 'the truth' until we are in the spelling paddock when we are no longer taken seriously or considered relevant.

Just like the silo-ing of professional interests, so too is governance. Ministerial spheres of interest and authority are tightly defined as well as protected. Until a much more radical change to the way we make and manage cities (and I will not be holding my breath), we will hobble along with eternally short changed aspirations. My bookshelves are groaning with volumes of the same lofty ideals over at least the last 40 years. The Feds have added yet another handful, fortunately this time in digital form. We only get the cities and towns we deserve and are prepared to pay for.
Posted by Juris, Monday, 10 January 2011 4:31:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy