The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let the Tank Stream run free > Comments

Let the Tank Stream run free : Comments

By Gavin Atkins, published 21/12/2010

The most environmentally degraded parts of Australia are her capital cities and they must be returned to their natural state as soon as possible.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Didn't put much effort into that did you Gavin.

I am quite sure you just pirated the next press release written for the Murray Darling Commission, change the head line, & publish it before they could get round to it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 21 December 2010 9:25:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I knew it would come to this. Now Gavin, the Unsustainable People Lobby, the loony left, the enviro-khymer rouge, want us to leave the our cities and before Xmas too! I tell you, these people don't believe in Santa Claus.

Gavin's article is a fine piece of taking the piss. Isn't it Gavin? Damn, these young people use irony in ways that us poor literal types will never understand.

Gavin - you are now Brother Number One. There will be a meeting in the central compound at 7.00 PM. Would all the intellectuals and teachers please wear red.
Posted by Cheryl, Tuesday, 21 December 2010 10:13:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is little known, I think, that the tank stream has already exacted a revenge of sorts on one of the temples of Mammon erected above it. Mary Reiby's palatial palazzo in George street facing Martin Place was equipped with a splendidly worked bronze front door, some 20 tons or so of the stuff I believe, which used to rise majestically on command each evening to safeguard the premises only to sink down again each morning to allow the commerce of the day.
Problem is, it sank on command one morn but refused to rise again that evening for the tank stream had so corroded the foundations of the hydraulic rams which propelled it that it was down for good! Tank stream 1 : Bank of NSW (as it then was) 0. Fiat justitia, ruat foris! (so to speak)
Posted by Brisbob, Tuesday, 21 December 2010 11:04:48 AM
I am not sure if this article is a joke or the writer is serious.
But for one minute I will take it seriously, don't be misguided, we have all done damage to the environment not just the city dwellers the farmers have done their bit and more. In my opinion the farmers are up there with the big and small miners, at least when the miners are finished with the land they are expected to put the area back to what it was before mining took place. Not so the farmers they over farm, chop down trees, grow inappropriate produce (such as rice and cotton) for the Australian environment, they leave waste on their properties and they take insurmountable water from the river systems.
Posted by MAREELORRAINE, Tuesday, 21 December 2010 11:33:12 AM
Gavin Mate,

An Enquiry?... Thats Urban rubbish as well.. so bugger the Enquiry lets do it !

CBD destruction and regreening should commence by Christmas.

You should be kind to the former Committee dwellers though...

Should they desire to USE their new Green Spaces ( and the new fresh clean Water )for producing Coffee from Coffee Trees. ( I was shocked to hear recently that it didn't actually come from a Shelf in the Supermarket.. Weird ! ).. you should allow them to do so.

After all, just because CBD Latte Sippers don't like you growing Food in the Countryside, this should not be held against them.

Also a free 20 metres of Fishing Line and 10 Hooks to every CBD Resident would also be in order. Naturally , this will be a Gillard Government Programme... at a cost of nomore that $50 Billion over 10 years , not counting guaranteed cost blowouts.

Whatever happened to the term AUSTRALIAN Government , incidentally, have we renamed the Country ?
Posted by Aspley, Tuesday, 21 December 2010 11:35:26 AM
Awesome perspective Gavin.

Working in the timber industry, as I do, I often feel the sting of the urban-enviro-folk trying to badge me as unsustainable too.

I often wonder why we shouldn't buldoze the cities and get some re-afferestation happening. I mean, swithcing a buildings power supply to solar & wind isn't really making much difference is it?
What about the ecology of the place? What about biodiversity? What about the trees?

I think your policy of restoring the tank stream and other urban water-ways could probably be expanded to cover restoration of all original vegetation communities, everywhere.

Only then will things be good!
Posted by Dean K, Tuesday, 21 December 2010 4:29:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy